• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any drawback to Dual Nationality?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    There are a couple of things to think about, but you're right that it's worth a thought.

Firstly, you're not 'on the other side' as you have dual loyalty. You are of course conflicted as you are on 'both sides'.

Also, from my point of view, as I mean to see out my days in Ireland and my wife and kids are Irish citizens, it makes sense to me to adopt citizenship, even though I already have special privileges as a British citizen - I can vote in all elections except constitutional referenda, and possibly presidential elections.

Finally, I value my EU citizenship and have an opportunity to retain it.
    Agreed, it's not you're either for us or against us, but there's a lot more to it than people think. I'm in not that different a position to you, but have a strong preference my British passport/identity.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
      My point still stands though. You're pledging allegiance to a different nation, not just obtaining a document that allows free movement round parts of Europe. Not that there’s anything wrong with it, but that is the primary undertaking when applying for a different passport.
      In practical terms that means nothing. And if some other country is your permanent home you have an allegiance to that country.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        In practical terms that means nothing. And if some other country is your permanent home you have an allegiance to that country.
        Depends what cricket team you support.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post

Irish citizenship with British means now way of using the EU Surinder Singh rule (google it). ..
          FFS! Not wanting to be pedantic but that typo (?) genuinely makes the sentence totally ambiguous!

Do you mean there's no way of using that rule, or there is now a way of using it?
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Depends what cricket team you support.
            The Ireland v Pakistan match was fun. Lots of the local families of Pakistani origin had the adults supporting Pakistan and the kids supporting Ireland. A good few adults were knocking back the stout.

The "indigenous" Ireland supporters were a mix from RoI and NI (island of Ireland team), mostly enjoying the Pakistani food.

A lot of English there, just along for the cricket, while enjoying stout and Pakistani food.

Everyone got along famously. None of it would have fit neatly into N. Tebbit's world-view.

Comment

My point still stands though. You're pledging allegiance to a different nation, not just obtaining a document that allows free movement round parts of Europe. Not that there’s anything wrong with it, but that is the primary undertaking when applying for a different passport.
              I like how you make it sound I swore an allegiance to Queenie of England.

I'd sooner drink a cup of my own vomit.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                FFS! Not wanting to be pedantic but that typo (?) genuinely makes the sentence totally ambiguous!

Do you mean there's no way of using that rule, or there is now a way of using it?
                If it was totally ambiguous, then you are not being pedantic. Unlike me.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  I like how you make it sound I swore an allegiance to Queenie of England.

I'd sooner drink a cup of my own vomit.
                  Certainly not intended should you have read it as such. That said, Queen and Country bit never troubles me and I much rather the current arrangement than have a president of the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Typo, iPhone autocorrect!

As a matter of interest Irish citizens are deemed to have settled status in UK from day one, i.e. effective ILR and vice-versa.

Comment

Certainly not intended should you have read it as such. That said, Queen and Country bit never troubles me and I much rather the current arrangement than have a president of the UK.
                      I've nothing against her. But I most certainly do not value one life more than another.
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X