• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can't live on £50k a year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Plantswoman
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Decking?! chortle!

Decking is so noughties, or even nineties!

Also it's as slippery as hell in the rain, and you don't know what nasties like rats are living under it.
    Yep, though the best way to deal with rats is just to make sure there's no source of food nearby.

Getting rid of the compost heap seemed to send them packing .

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post

Actually when I get on the bench, which doesn't seem to be anytime soon, I have a challenging project I intend to tackle - installing decking. ..
    Decking?! chortle!

Decking is so noughties, or even nineties!

Also it's as slippery as hell in the rain, and you don't know what nasties like rats are living under it.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    Jigsaw it is then. Less risk and less fun.
    Just think if he lost all his fingers, then we would miss out on all his enlightening posts on here

Leave a comment:

• The Plantswoman
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    WGAS what Sebastian Windsor-Smythe of Knightsbridge thinks?
    The article was in the context of saleability & what certain types look for when buying a house.

Not views that I share obviously.

Though, I must confess, I looked at a place not far from Radstock recently and every property on the street had a satellite dish.

Told me all I needed to know. I was out...

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Make sure you get a decent stand for it. The risks multiply if you try to do it on the floor etc.
    I'll second that. Mine came with correct one. Wouldn't fancy using it otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    Buy a mitre saw. Superb fun with a mild dose of danger too. I bought a decent second-hand one. It has a nice graphic of a hand with detached fingers solely to remind you that you're only a few centimetres away from a life changing injury!
    Make sure you get a decent stand for it. The risks multiply if you try to do it on the floor etc.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    FreeView + Netflix/Amazon Prime - The only thing you miss is live sports
    I can't watch all the things I fancy on Freeview most are on in the background when I'm in the Manshack.. I have prime as well which the kids watch.

Not had Sky for a decade.

Leave a comment:

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    I've been watching videos on how to do it and seems straightforward. Maybe even quite enjoyable.
    Only problem is I need it curved not straight-edged - I think that's the difficult bit.
    Jigsaw it is then. Less risk and less fun.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by The Plantswoman View Post
    According to an article I read in the Times a few weeks ago, decking, hanging baskets and barbecues are among the outdoor accoutrements generally considered lower middle class by the cognoscenti. Oh and patios.
    WGAS what Sebastian Windsor-Smythe of Knightsbridge thinks?

A Saturday afternoon BBQ and beers with friends on my decking sounds good. Not only that but it would be with genuine friends, rather than those that Sebastian thought he had but who would evaporate when the poor chap ran into money worries. Screw anyone else. If they're too busy passing opinion on others, they clearly have an empty life of their own.

Leave a comment:

• The Plantswoman
    replied
    It's Malcolm the trainspotter
    Anyway I didn't realise decking was a class thing, more an old fashioned 80s thing - but there were many good things about the 80s.
    According to an article I read in the Times a few weeks ago, decking, hanging baskets and barbecues are among the outdoor accoutrements generally considered lower middle class by the cognoscenti. Oh and patios.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X