• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Independence for London - thickos need not apply

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
    Even back in the 1990s everyone from up North who graduated went to London. I applied for loads of jobs around the Manchester area and there was nothing apart from Oracle at the time and they were only pretending to Uni graduates. I went down to London before I graduated for an IT job and got the job conditionally based on my grades. The the City and big fat contractor rates, where you got treated like dirt but at least you were compensated with dosh.
    London was expensive back then but it was at least livable. Nowadays...

Comment

The top ten places in England people have fled from...

Wish you were here? The top 10 places here people most want to live in the UK are revealed (and why people are fleeing London)  | Daily Mail Online

1. Newham (London)
      2. Brent (London)
      3. Luton
      4. Waltham Forest (London)
      5. Blackburn with Darwen
      6. Ealing (London)
      7. Bradford
      8. Haringey (London)
      9. Kingston upon Hull
      10. Boston

....The ONS figures do not include people coming from, or moving to, foreign countries. But they do identify the areas of the UK that people have been keen to move out of...
      Cant quite put my finger on why people would be keen to leave these areas

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post

Suity lives/has lived/has worked there?

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post

I would imagine the people moving out to Essex are of a very different demographic to the ones flocking to Devon and Somerset.

White working class from the East End.

BBC did a documentary about how such people had been marginalised in places like Newham a few months back.

It was a real eye opener & this being the BBC, it was the sanitised version.

I would imagine the reality is even more colourful.

Comment

Working...
          X