• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • FREE workshop: Preparing contractors for Autumn : Weds 29th Sep at 7.15pm. More details here.

Evidence the Scots Would Have Been Just Fine on Thier Own

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #21
    Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
    Yeah suffered from free prescriptions and free higher education. Did I miss anything?
    Chuck £1200 per person, extra public spending, per year into that tear filled mix
    The Chunt of Chunts.

    Comment


      #22
      Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
      Yeah suffered from free prescriptions and free higher education. Did I miss anything?
      Given Scotland runs in the red it's money overspent. My missus does a similar accountancy trick.

      There are other spots in the UK that get free prescriptions (in my view wrongly for those over a certain income threshold) and don't pay £9K/year fees.

      Comment


        #23
        Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
        Certainly not more so than Northern Ireland and every region has distinct voting patterns.

        And you have got the government you voted for. So how does the SNP (now it has pretty much total control of Scotland's budget) resolve its overspending?
        It might start finding out who the beneficiaries of public services are. I'm fairly certain it extends beyond Scotland. In fact I know as much from those amongst my fraternity.

        Cutting taxes is no way to go. No one wants a race to the bottom.

        Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
        How on earth would it have made up the loss of oil revenue if you were on your own?
        The same way as England is doing right now, most likely. Has it occurred to you we borrow everyday from international lenders? We're bankrupt.


        Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
        Why do you think you'd be better off in the EU than the UK?.
        Access to the UK working market or the EU working market. Mmmmm tough one.

        I'm sorry to say but I recognise myself more so with my european counterparts than those in the South of the UK whom seem obsessed with house prices and keeping up with the jones. That's just not living a full life.

        Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post

        It's striking how similar the SNP and Sinn Fein's rhetoric is.
        Now that is offensive.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

        Comment


          #24
          Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          Perhaps that's something to do with the fact that over the past 40+ years Scotland gets a government it din't vote for. And suffers and suffers.

          Scotland is politically different from the rUK. End of.
          Yet NOT different enough to actually vote FOR Independence when given the chance eh?

          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

          Comment


            #25
            Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            It might start finding out who the beneficiaries of public services are. I'm fairly certain it extends beyond Scotland. In fact I know as much from those amongst my fraternity.

            Cutting taxes is no way to go. No one wants a race to the bottom.



            The same way as England is doing right now, most likely. Has it occurred to you we borrow everyday from international lenders? We're bankrupt.




            Access to the UK working market or the EU working market. Mmmmm tough one.

            I'm sorry to say but I recognise myself more so with my european counterparts than those in the South of the UK whom seem obsessed with house prices and keeping up with the jones. That's just not living a full life.



            Now that is offensive.
            I'll put it simiply; what conditions would there have to be for you to vote to remain part of the UK?

            Comment


              #26
              Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
              I'll put it simiply; what conditions would there have to be for you to vote to remain part of the UK?
              Simple answer. A government that operates for its citizens rather than big business. No illegal wars. No more vested interests. But we're way beyond that now.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

              Comment


                #27
                A government that operates for its citizens rather than big business.
                I'd have to agree here. There is an easy way to kill that stone dead and that's to ban Lobbyists. This should also stop the revolving door politics we have now that favours the big companies. It's no coincidence that Crapita is making more dough now than before it's blunders and we're getting shafted by HMRC. If only the civil service did more checks on it's suppliers it would know that a lot of the work the large IT companies do for them is farmed out to us anyway. If only we (collectively) were allowed to tender eh?

                Comment


                  #28
                  Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                  I'd have to agree here. There is an easy way to kill that stone dead and that's to ban Lobbyists. This should also stop the revolving door politics we have now that favours the big companies. It's no coincidence that Crapita is making more dough now than before it's blunders and we're getting shafted by HMRC. If only the civil service did more checks on it's suppliers it would know that a lot of the work the large IT companies do for them is farmed out to us anyway. If only we (collectively) were allowed to tender eh?
                  No problem with any of the above. The point I'm trying to make is you don't wreck a very successful 300-year-old union for this.

                  Comment


                    #29
                    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                    No problem with any of the above. The point I'm trying to make is you don't wreck a very successful 300-year-old union for this.
                    I don't see near £2 trillion of debt as successful. Equally, we've just dealt a vital blow to the EU, a union that was created to ensure peace or rather war never broke out in Europe again.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

                    Comment


                      #30
                      Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      we've just dealt a fatal blow to the EU, a union that was created to ensure peace or rather war never broke out in Europe again (I think you will find that NATO actually performs that function), but was in fact only successful in dragging ever more member countries towards destitution with a cavalier attitude to fiscal probity that would have warmed the cockles of Robert Maxwell's black heart!.
                      ftfy
                      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X