• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Middle Lane...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post

It's the ones that hog the outside lane that get my goat
    Someone talking about me?

Actually although I spend most time in the outside lane I'm happy to pull in and let people drive past, not least because they're the ones who will be pulled if there is a speed trap ahead, and I've even seen them trigger speed cameras and thus give me a handy warning to slow down in time!

Also, having overtaken me, agressive speed maniacs will tailgate an inch behind the car ahead of me and encourage them to move over, thus clearing the road ahead. So it's win win.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I actually prefer the A1 when heading north, mainly because there are only two lanes, which clearly confuses the middle lane hoggers
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Someone talking about me?

Actually although I spend most time in the outside lane I'm happy to pull in and let people drive past, not least because they're the ones who will be pulled if there is a speed trap ahead, and I've even seen them trigger speed cameras and thus give me a handy warning to slow down in time!

Also, having overtaken me, agressive speed maniacs will tailgate an inch behind the car ahead of me and encourage them to move over, thus clearing the road ahead. So it's win win.
        Trouble is it is hard to judge when to move from lane 1 into lane 2 when people are hovering in lane 3 as you don't know if they are going to pull into lane 2 at the same time. Without indication of course.
        I get up...

Comment

I'm working in Scotland at the mo and my commute takes me through the lakes on the M6. This stretch is a nightmare for these loons. On Monday evening I was heading up here. I had by cruise control set to a sedate 85 and was driving on along in the slow lane. Off in the distance I could se one other car sat in the middle lane....I was gaining fast. I indicated, moved out behind them (not close or anything), flashed my lights and moved out again into the 3rd lane. Once past I indicated and moved back into lane 1. They were oblivious and just stayed in the middle lane. I assume that they think it's better to stay in the middle lane because it's safer than lane 1 - as they might fall off the motorway or something.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
            I'm working in Scotland at the mo and my commute takes me through the lakes on the M6. This stretch is a nightmare for these loons. On Monday evening I was heading up here. I had by cruise control set to a sedate 85 and was driving on along in the slow lane. Off in the distance I could se one other car sat in the middle lane....I was gaining fast. I indicated, moved out behind them (not close or anything), flashed my lights and moved out again into the 3rd lane. Once past I indicated and moved back into lane 1. They were oblivious and just stayed in the middle lane. I assume that they think it's better to stay in the middle lane because it's safer than lane 1 - as they might fall off the motorway or something.
            Exactly this

I sometimes overtake them, pull in, let them overtake me and generally just keep circling them.

They still remain completely oblivious but it makes me chuckle!!

Comment

It saves them having to do anything about overtaking HGVs - they see lane 1 as the HGV and caravan lane. More annoying, as someone else suggested, is when they sit in lane 3 of 4.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

It makes a huge difference what you are driving and how you look when coming up in someone's rear view mirror as to whether they pull over not. I've owned a few 400 plus horsepower cars (currently 615bhp) and the ones that look like saloons people tend to dawdle in front of, the ones that are low, spoilered and winged people tend to shift out of your way.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                  the ones that look like saloons people tend to dawdle in front of, the ones that are 2mm from your arse people tend to shift out of your way and hope you crash a bit away.
                  FTFY
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

It saves them having to do anything about overtaking HGVs ..
                    or worse still, being sandwiched between HGVs fore and aft.

I reckon that is actually quite dangerous, because if the one in front stops or slows and the one behind doesn't ...
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

The worst piece of driving I ever saw was the absolute dick brain as I passed Catcliffe Jnct on the M1 heading south.

I was in left hand lane, traffic moving normally so doing about 70, not super-busy, and this BMW (surprise-surprise) under took me onto the hard shoulder at about 120 mph, just at the southbound slip road luckily nothing merging or he'd have took us all out...

I remember too he was so wayward he hit the grass verge at one point as I remember loads of dirt flying up although that could have been the general muck on the slip road/hard shoulder join....

Comment

Working...
                      X