• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Technical challenge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW
    Just try to answer the question - I know it is hard to keep whole picture in that huge managerial brain of yours, but at least make an effort.

I wonder if my .NET code will provide requirement minimum of 100 searches per second
    Not my area of expertise. Now if you give me some data and ask me to run a regression analysis to determine factors for speed, I may be able to help
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Ask the experts - Google!
      Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Looks like this forum is full of contract managers who have evolved from failed programmers...

Come on losers - make some effort, go on - 10, maybe 20 servers with 4 GB RAM each with dual quad-core CPUs?
        Last edited by AtW; 1 November 2006, 18:07.

Comment

What do you want people to say Alexei?

Is this some kind of Threaded style boasting about how clever you are?

If you were that clever, you would have £60K in your pocket, ready to put down on a 5x Abbey mortgage.

Comment

"If you were that clever, you would have £60K in your pocket, ready to put down on a 5x Abbey mortgage."

He hasnt even got £5 for a £60k mortgage.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I can't believe there are no database gurus here, go on, make an estimate on what would it take Oracle to handle 100 mln unique strings in a table: better scale it to 10x100 mln.

Comment

I've had a hard day. I cannot be bothered to even read the beginning of this thread let alone calculate anything. In fact, Im presently trying to work out whether there is enough hot water for a bath.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                  Looks like this forum is full of contract managers who have evolved from failed programmers...

Come on losers - make some effort, go on - 10, maybe 20 servers with 4 GB RAM each with dual quad-core CPUs?

So give us something to go on. What sort of performance are you getting now with what configuration and on what hardware?

How much data are you handling at the moment? What is the bottle neck in your system? Processor, memory, network or disk speed?

What sort of cluster is it designed to run under?

Is it designed to run under a cluster at all or just a bunch of networked machines?
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Im presently trying to work out whether there is enough hot water for a bath
                    If there isn't, and the bath is only perhaps a 1/4 full, then consider my lateral solution.

Stack the bath with bricks, arranged to provide you space to get in, but the bricks taking up the dead space around your body.

(Note : This only works if you are not Threaded, who is shaped like a bath anyway).

You will find that the bricks will displace the area where the water would have gone, and consequently increase the depth of the bath water.

For eco-friendly thinking, you can pop any soiled cutlery and plates from the kitchen in there as well after you have finished.

For time-saving thinking, you can do both together. Though be careful with the cheese-grater and your kn0b.

HTH
                    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

I will tell you that, but before I want to hear estimates on what hardware would you need to solve that task: you know about the task enough to make an estimate, I sure made one when I received.

Comment

Working...
                      X