• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question about government contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually sent them an email a few days ago, but I guess it is not high on their list of things to do and they never got back to me.

I guess I am going to write on my paper

"as a poor carpenter living in London, I have no resources available to me which would allow me to acquire such a large government contract. Because of this at noon tomorrow I am going to shoot myself in the face rather than whore myself out to the "big boys".

That should get me a decent grade

Comment

Originally posted by sbrad09
      I actually sent them an email a few days ago, but I guess it is not high on their list of things to do and they never got back to me.

I guess I am going to write on my paper

"as a poor carpenter living in London, I have no resources available to me which would allow me to acquire such a large government contract. Because of this at noon tomorrow I am going to shoot myself in the face rather than whore myself out to the "big boys".

That should get me a decent grade

You're a fast study, kid. Party on, dude
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Have a look at link give's you sort of an idea!

http://www.sbs.gov.uk/SBS_Gov_files/services/tender.pdf

Comment

Have a look at http://www.supply2.gov.uk/

Supposedly designed as a way for small businesses to get visibility of government contracts that they would not normally see. I've signed up to it but so far their search criteria dont seem to generate particularly good matches for the services my ltd can provide. That or it's just too niche for them. Either way it's another thing to show the tax man if he asks how I go about aquiring contracts I guess.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I believe there is a "commitment" by the Government to make all contracts of less than £100,000 value open to all bidders (supposedly through the internet), but it seems to mainly affect Local Government, rather than National. The best bet would be to find out about any local Private Finance Initiatives in the local area, and then contact the bidders in that as a sub-contractor

And BTW, a Private Members Bill would not be needed. They are put before Parliament by an individual Member of Parliament, and do not neccessarily have the support of the Government. In practice only a few dozen attempts are allowed each year (there is actually a lottery to get a chance to put one forward) and they rarely get enough time to go through the whole Parliamentary process, unless the Government decides it's a good idea, and decides to sponsor it. Even then, they are most likely to fail, and then re-appear later as part of a Government Bill. A Private Members Bill shouldn't be confused with a Private Act of Parliament, which are laws passed by Parliament on behalf of a private organisation, usually to give them permission to do things like build over roads (i.e to permanently block the Queen's Highway) or to build a pipeline across public lands etc.
            Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

Working...
            X