• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who would swap UK status for another EU country?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sirja View Post
    The truly depressing thing, is that there are many on the leave side who believe this tulip. They really believe that anyone who wanted the UK to be part of the largest single market in the world, to give future generations of Brits the same choices we've had to be able to live and work anywhere in the EU. To want to see our country play a leading role in shaping the future of our continent, that somehow wanting all of this makes you a Brit hater. Quite sad really.
    I think you will find that your premise is completely wrong. The EU is a totalitarian state in the making. Either we are part of the club that looks to change it from within Lord & Lady Kinnock's £10m Euro gravy train | UK | News | Daily Express or we remove it and find another way to trade and organise Europe or we leave it and force it to reform itself.
    Remainers are like lemmings. They are only capable of seeing European cooperation through the prism of the EU.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Yeah, EU is so totalitarian they allow countries to exit it.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        I think you will find that your premise is completely wrong. The EU is a totalitarian state in the making. Either we are part of the club that looks to change it from within Lord & Lady Kinnock's £10m Euro gravy train | UK | News | Daily Express or we remove it and find another way to trade and organise Europe or we leave it and force it to reform itself.
        Remainers are like lemmings. They are only capable of seeing European cooperation through the prism of the EU.
        Even if that were true which it's not (greater federalism is not something I would agree with, either), the fact was that one of the concessions that Dave got was that the UK would not be a part of political union "in perpetuity". This was going to be written in the treaty.
        So we had all the economic advantages and would not have to join any future political shennanigans.
        But face it, you didn't know that when you voted did you?

Anyway, seriously, how's business? In a way you're our canary in the coalmine, if you don't mind my saying.

Comment

Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
          Anyway, seriously, how's business? In a way you're our canary in the coalmine, if you don't mind my saying.
          He is trying not to think about it

Comment

one of the concessions that Dave got was that the UK would not be a part of political union "in perpetuity". This was going to be written in the treaty.
            So we had all the economic advantages and would not have to join any future political shennanigans.
            BBC ON THIS DAY | 30 | 1938: 'Peace for our time' - Chamberlain

Business is OK I am doing some cyber security stuff and looking for javascript developers. I can always do with new clients especially if they are desperate for skills.

What worries me about the EU is that it will gradually give itself more power. Already it is showing that it is only interested in the sanctity of its own existence rather than a service function for its members. If one is to look at any group of human beings in the past you will see how they behave. They will always look to increase their influence, they will always look to reduce or remove their own accountabilities and they will look to gather and execute as much power as they can. You guys must see this sort of behaviour every day in the corporates that you work in. Being part of the EU is of huge benefit to contractors as whether you guys work abroad or not your market is stimulated by the freedom to operate anywhere. The fact that a relatively small number of contractors are behind Remain shows that many of you deep down see the EU for what it is or what it will become. After all part of the reason why contractors are employed is to have people delivering actual work independent of the internal politics and vested interests that are so embedded into the culture of many employers.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Yeah, EU is so totalitarian they allow countries to exit it.
              only after the Lisbon treaty.

Before then there was no mechanism to do so.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                BBC ON THIS DAY | 30 | 1938: 'Peace for our time' - Chamberlain

Business is OK I am doing some cyber security stuff and looking for javascript developers. I can always do with new clients especially if they are desperate for skills.

What worries me about the EU is that it will gradually give itself more power. Already it is showing that it is only interested in the sanctity of its own existence rather than a service function for its members. If one is to look at any group of human beings in the past you will see how they behave. They will always look to increase their influence, they will always look to reduce or remove their own accountabilities and they will look to gather and execute as much power as they can. You guys must see this sort of behaviour every day in the corporates that you work in. Being part of the EU is of huge benefit to contractors as whether you guys work abroad or not your market is stimulated by the freedom to operate anywhere. The fact that a relatively small number of contractors are behind Remain shows that many of you deep down see the EU for what it is or what it will become. After all part of the reason why contractors are employed is to have people delivering actual work independent of the internal politics and vested interests that are so embedded into the culture of many employers.
                But you're missing the point - and that is until your theoretical federalism happened (which BTW I don't think it ever will, the EU is like herding cats and always will be) then we should have milked it for all its worth.
                Your analogy with contractors is very apt. In the corporates we work with, we ignore the politics and power plays and look after number 1.
                The UK should have been like a contractor in the EU milking it for all its worth.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Unless you're afraid of force, nothing to stop you walking out of any club you enter or belong to at any time whatsoever.

Comment

But you're missing the point - and that is until your theoretical federalism happened (which BTW I don't think it ever will, the EU is like herding cats and always will be) then we should have milked it for all its worth.
                    Your analogy with contractors is very apt. In the corporates we work with, we ignore the politics and power plays and look after number 1.
                    The UK should have been like a contractor in the EU milking it for all its worth.
                    Which is hard to do when each country has equal influence no matter how many people it represents. I think contractors see corporates for what they are and understand the dynamics behind the EU. They probably also see that change is generally much easier than coporatists would have us believe. They are used to adapting to different environments and would think nothing of seeing the EU and every one of its people being sacked and have the whole thing rebuilt from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

So why exit now?

Comment

Working...
                      X