• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Food prices plummet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
    Ok in Months and years to come but Please can a remainer give me a positive reason for staying in the EU, any reason that will only be available to us if we remain
    £ 3 bln per year EU subsidy to UK agriculture.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Last year it was USD 1.72 and less than 10 years ago it was 2.

I'll leave the %-tage calculation to you as home exercise.
      From memory it hit 1.92 in c2006 but are you now claiming that Brexit caused it to fall from 1.92 over 10 years?

It was 1.42 the day before the vote. It's 1.296 now. Let's see:

1.42 - 1.296 = 0.124

0.124/1.42=0.087 or 9% for the sake of argument.

The last time it hit 1.72 was July 14, not last year.

And didn't you call the bottom at 1.34? I hope you didn't put money on that.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
        From memory it hit 1.92 in c2006 but are you now claiming that Brexit caused it to fall from 1.92 over 10 years?

It was 1.42 the day before the vote. It's 1.296 now. Let's see:

1.42 - 1.296 = 0.124

0.124/1.42=0.087 or 9% for the sake of argument.

The last time it hit 1.72 was July 14, not last year.

And didn't you call the bottom at 1.34? I hope you didn't put money on that.
        I called bottom yes (at around 1.32 which is sell rate), bear in mind that I am not gambling money but exchanging hard earned euros and dollars into rapidly depreciating pounds.

1.72 was indeed in July 2014, but last year we had normals of 1.55-1.60, this is where pound would have been if it was not for Brexit vote - it was sliding because market was pricing in loss already, so if we take 1.55 before Brexit and 1.20 expected then: 1.55/1.2 -> 29%.

Comment

I called bottom yes, bear in mind that I am not gambling money but exchanging hard earned euros and dollars into rapidly depreciating pounds.

1.72 was indeed in July 2014, but last year we had normals of 1.55-1.60, this is where pound would have been if it was not for Brexit vote - it was sliding because market was pricing in loss already, so if we take 1.55 before Brexit and 1.20 expected then: 1.55/1.2 -> 29%.
          This has to be the funniest post of the day / week. And you can't even see why.

Comment

GB9 get you facts right. I know your ass is hurt by voting leave and you are trying to prove everyone how brexit is great. But face the facts. It was stupid to leave and it's bad for economy, people, high earners, low earners. BAD FOR EVERYONE

Comment

£ 3 bln per year EU subsidy to UK agriculture.
              I was looking for something we can't get by exiting, this and all the other subsidies can be cover by the 8.5 billion we give to the EU each year

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
                GB9 get you facts right. I know your ass is hurt by voting leave and you are trying to prove everyone how brexit is great. But face the facts. It was stupid to leave and it's bad for economy, people, high earners, low earners. BAD FOR EVERYONE
                Same question give us a reason to stay, I'm still not seeing it

Comment

Why won't your share your infinite Brexiters wisdom?

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
                    I was looking for something we can't get by exiting, this and all the other subsidies can be cover by the 8.5 billion we give to the EU each year
                    Ok, with Brexit it won't be possible to buy house in France and retire there - unless freedom of movement is signed up to. It will be like with USA now - easy to travel as a tourist, but try going there to live or work.

Comment

One of you is overstating it slightly and one understating it, but it doesn't really matter that much

Cable always overshoots; 1.72 was a very temporary top and 1.2 would be a very temporary bottom (IMO). I reckon the stable Cable, so to speak, is around 1.5 without Brexit and 1.3 with Brexit, so around 15%. However, the trade-weighted index is more important in many ways and this index has declined much less (although still at a multi-year low).

Comment

Working...
                      X