• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Calais jungle camp to move to Dover

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Assuming they can find the money for the ticket, who's going to stop them?
    Simple - airport-style passport controls at all the stations. No UK or EU passport, no get on train. Fine the operators for every one who gets through.
    Only slight problem is the b@st@rd Frenchies might be tempted to give them all French passports just to spite us.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
      Simple - airport-style passport controls at all the stations. No UK or EU passport, no get on train. Fine the operators for every one who gets through.
      Erm, that's what we have now. That's what The French want to stop.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Erm, that's what we have now. That's what The French want to stop.
        It's what we have, but that's with the co-operation of the French. What's to stop Eurostar operating their own border controls at their stations, whether the French like it or not?
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

It's what we have, but that's with the co-operation of the French. What's to stop Eurostar operating their own border controls at their stations, whether the French like it or not?
          Your plan is to put untrained and unqualified Eurostar or P&O staff in charge of UK immigration?

So much for "take back control".

Comment

Your plan is to put untrained and unqualified Eurostar or P&O staff in charge of UK immigration?

So much for "take back control".
            That's not what I was suggesting - they should be operated by UKBA (at least initially), but to be fair, if you take a BA flight from virtually anywhere to the UK, all passport checks are done by local BA staff (or agents), local security and immigration, and finally by departure gate staff, who could be BA staff or local agents. Why not have a similar system in place for Eurostar and the ferries? After all, if the airlines can get it to work pretty well, why not the others?

Comment

That's not what I was suggesting - they should be operated by UKBA (at least initially), but to be fair, if you take a BA flight from virtually anywhere to the UK, all passport checks are done by local BA staff (or agents), local security and immigration, and finally by departure gate staff, who could be BA staff or local agents. Why not have a similar system in place for Eurostar and the ferries? After all, if the airlines can get it to work pretty well, why not the others?
              Eurostar already use their own staff for passport and security checks. UKBA do an extra check which is linked into their database so that undesirables don't get into the UK...HTH
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                Eurostar already use their own staff for passport and security checks. UKBA do an extra check which is linked into their database so that undesirables don't get into the UK...HTH
                This is my experience with airports.

Checkin in a Schengen country and the airline rep checks passport is valid for the UK so that they don't get fined if the passenger gets returned.

Arrival in UK and subjected to proper immigration check inc naughty boy list.

Schengen to Schengen no passport check (photo id required)

Non Schengen (UK) to Schengen then UK airline rep checks passport is valid and subjected to full immigration on arrival inc naughty boy list (Which I am almost on so it's a PITA ).

Edit: By almost I mean that someone with the same first initial and surname additionally with the same month and year of birth is on it. I wish they'd hurry up and nab the wrongun.
                Last edited by Pondlife; 5 July 2016, 11:34.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                  Why do you assume they would be let across the border at all?
                  Because the border is 3 miles out to sea, once they are waved off the French shore they will be our problem
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

It's still the same situation we have now. There'll still be thousands of people ending up in jungles because they can't get on the ferry/train, so from the French point of view it makes no difference. And the UK government can't send UKBA staff onto French soil without France's permission, and neither can the UK government force Eurostar or whoever to do anything in France without France's say so.

The only way it's different for the French is if everybody can get on the trains/ferries and it's up to the UK authorities to sort it out in Kent.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      So there's your answer Vectraman. It's 10 years since I last travelled on Eurostar, so I couldn't remember who checked what and where.

Comment

Working...
                      X