• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How green are you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    I'm Green...
    It's not easy being green....

IGMC

Comment

I have replaced all our CRTs with TFT monitors, where we used to keep all desktops running, they get powered down. We regualy run on UPS power as we have a bank of them, that are charged over night when the electricity is cheaper.
      SA says;
      Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      (whatever these are)

Comment

I'm using 1440*whatever it is on the lappy atm, and 1600*1200 on my 19" CRT. I like to be able to see lots of lines o code at the same time if i ever have to look at it, must easier if you can see more lines IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
          No he can't - the maximum feasable at that res is 1280x768 if you ask me!

I have a thing for "green energy". If I could afford solar power, I'd use it.

At the moment, I have low power TFTs where possible running in green mode and I have GE energy bulbs. I turn stuff off completely at night as well (unless I'm leeching).

The only problem that remains is that it's not helping the environment one little bit! Simply because 90% of the stuff our council shifts for recycling is sold to Bywaters who just dump it in a land fill.
          1600 * 1200 is fine on my 19" Iiyama CRT. I had an old Daewoo one before that got fuzzy if you put it higher than 1280 * 768 so it all depends on the quality of the monitor. IIyama were the best for CRT's, but thier LCD's don't seem to be quite at the same high level at the moment. I just need to find out who manufactures the one that's in my laptop as that is a lovely screen.

Comment

I turn off my PC screen when I blink. I also do this with my TV so when we watch telly as a family, we ensure we get our blinking in sync so as not to ruin our viewing enjoyment.

I also wear plastic pants with elasticated legs to avoid using the toilet during the day, thus also saving on flushes and therefore save water. I then empty the pants directly into the drain. I don't need to do this at the client site as they have urinals although they did ask me to stop sloshing when I demonstrated the pants early on in the contract.

Threaded
            Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

cost of running a crt monitor = x

cost of running a tft monitor = y

cost in pollution of driving to pc world to by tft = z

cost in pollution of driving to skip with old crt = a

Cost in pollution of recycling crt = b

Cost in pollution of manufacturing tft = c

Will keep crt and just hand over my green tax to Gordon, I just know he will put it to good use.

Comment

Anyway if you are a web dev you really need a CRT and a LCD. Most web devs seem blissfully unaware that thier website will look completely different on CRT's and LCD's due to different colour levels. Have a look at a site that has very dark colours shades on and LCD and the same site will probably look black on a CRT, and one that is not too bright on a CRT will look dayglow on a CRT.

I was quite miffed when I first found that out...

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
                  I have a hybrid car. I currently save the planet whilst driving and pay less tax as well. A truly win-win situation...

The energy cost of manufacturing and running a hybrid car for its lifetime far exceeds that of a conventional car.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                    1600 * 1200 is fine on my 19" Iiyama CRT.
                    They were superb. I still have one for photo work, the colour balance is still superior.

Comment

I wander around the house turning off lights left on by rest of family going DOH!! very loudly
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X