• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

After a resounding Brexit vote, Sunderland fears for Nissan plant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    as per the briefing document I posted.

we export ~ £13Billion to the EU & Import £26 Billion.

If the EU stuffs us on the exports we reply by stuffing them on the imports and we have a huge now over priced import market to play with.
    One issue you are ignoring is Nissan and the other manufacturers making new models in the UK rather than factories in mainland Europe, particularly those in Eastern Europe.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      I suppose he is hoping labour win and they will be left holding the baby.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

as per the briefing document I posted.

we export ~ £13Billion to the EU & Import £26 Billion.

If the EU stuffs us on the exports we reply by stuffing them on the imports and we have a huge now over priced import market to play with.
        2 points:

1. We export FAR more than that in services (which is 80% of our economy), which relies on the single market passport.
        Or do you think the Uk lives off the 13 billion in goods to the EU and the 15 billion to the rest of the world?

2. Secondly that deficit you mention is mainly with Germany. When deciding a deal, every country will have a veto. Poland and some others will simply veto any deal which isn't free market=free movement.

DOH!
        Do we have to go through this endlessly?
        How long is it going to take for you thickos to work out the reality of the situation?
        Why do you think Article 50 hasn't been invoked yet?

Comment

One issue you are ignoring is Nissan and the other manufacturers making new models in the UK rather than factories in mainland Europe, particularly those in Eastern Europe.
          well that was going to happen anyway, wages are a fifth of UK. Surprised it hasn't happened before.

The UK market needs servicing, its bigger than the UK-> EU export market, if tariffs get imposed the EU will lose out & we will have a similar sized market to now.

Comment

I suppose he is hoping labour win and they will be left holding the baby.
            He's pissed because Corbyn did feck all during the referendum campaign. Most people in the NE didn't know Labour supported remain and why.

Apparently Corbyn cancelled interviews at the last minute ensuring someone else in the Remain camp couldn't do them and a few other things.

Comment

I despair, I really do.
              1 So JLR already building the factory before the vote.

2 Czech a lower cost location for JLR before the vote and after the vote.

I was made redundant about 10 years ago when the manufacturing plant I worked in relocated from Coventry to Hungary. Strangely enough being in the EU didn't help much then.
              Last edited by Flashman; 29 June 2016, 11:54.

Comment

Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
                2 points:

1. We export FAR more than that in services (which is 80% of our economy), which relies on the single market passport.
                Or do you think the Uk lives off the 13 billion in goods to the EU and the 15 billion to the rest of the world?

2. Secondly that deficit you mention is mainly with Germany. When deciding a deal, every country will have a veto. Poland and some others will simply veto any deal which isn't free market=free movement.

DOH!
                Do we have to go through this endlessly?
                How long is it going to take for you thickos to work out the reality of the situation?
                Why do you think Article 50 hasn't been invoked yet?
                as we are discussing car plants then any cretin would understand why I'm talking about Car plants only.

If you read my posts then I'm saying if they play hardball on car trade then we will survive the only benefit will be fewer German cars in the fast lane flashing their headlights at 100mph

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
                  1 So JLR already building the factory before the vote.

2 Czech a lower cost location for JLR before the vote and after the vote.

I was made redundant about 10 years ago when the manufacturing plant I worked in relocated from Coventry to Hungary. Strangely enough being in the EU didn't help much then.
                  If you have two car plants and one has cheaper staff, unless there is another reason to stay in the more expensive area you move to the cheaper area.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                    Sunderland should just MTFU, apparently.
                    They have - they voted to leave.
                    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

If you have two car plants and one has cheaper staff, unless there is another reason to stay in the more expensive area you move to the cheaper area.
                      well that was happening anyway if we stayed in the EU. Now if there are tariffs from the EU-> & UK-> EU the UK car plant has an advantage selling to the UK.

Comment

Working...
                      X