• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Green Taxes? What's the Problem?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anything that give politicians an excuse to raise taxes they will take.

Comment

Did anybody see the slimy sh1te on Newsnight last night. The telly very nearly got a kicking. Who votes people like him into positions of power. he looks like you could trust him as far as you could spit him.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

1 - Anyone else been enjoying the fabulous extended summer and warm spell ? Great stuff !
        2 - No doubt it's getting warmer, e.g. used to go skiing every easter in Scotland (25 years ago) now there is never any snow (not that I would go there now !)
        3 - As mentioned - paltry 2% we kick out is not going to change the world (say we cut 25% - big deal) But guess we can pay lip service and show some encouragement.
        4 - Reasons for climate change are uncertain but what is certain is that fossil fuels are finite and diminishing. Say they last another 100 years (a blink of an eye in planetary lifetime) at that point any fuel being used will effectively be carbon neutral (sun, wind, nuclear, biomass etc) so if we eke out the fossil fuels for another 20 years, what difference is that going to make ???

Freed from any fetters of natural selection, mankind has multiplied beyond all natural numbers by it's ability to control it's environment. There are now far more people on the planet than it has any hope of sustaining and the numbers are only increasing. All of these people breathe oxygen in and CO2 out, require space, food, water,heat, transport etc etc.
        I think the bubble will burst and we are looking at desolation on a huge scale, war over oil/resources/cooler land areas. Huge loss of life as the planet adjusts to counter the impact we are having on it.
        The problem is too many people and there can't be anything done to counteract this, therefore we (or at least anyone poor or in a low lying or hot country ) is/are doomed.

HTH

Comment

tax on tax

Originally posted by DimPrawn
          It's about time tax was taxed.

All those feckers paying tax and not a single one of them paying tax on it.
          Too late with this idea. When you pay the duty on spirits it makes them more valuable... so you have to pat V.A.T. on the added value (I'm not making this up).

As for the green tax, once you raise taxes people will have to increase their economic activity to pay for it. So, for example, the woodcutter will have to chop down more trees or the office worker will have to work weekends (using petrol to get to work) to pay the increased taxes. The poor will be priced out of Britain and have to take their holidays abroad.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
            Did anybody see the slimy sh1te on Newsnight last night. The telly very nearly got a kicking. Who votes people like him into positions of power. he looks like you could trust him as far as you could spit him.
            I was of the opinion that he needed a good stabbin'

All together now...

Stabitty stab stab stab...

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg
              The problem is too many people and there can't be anything done to counteract this, therefore we (or at least anyone poor or in a low lying or hot country ) is/are doomed.

HTH
              Whenever there's a resource to be exploited (such as a very big population), something nasty comes along & exploits it...

Spanish Flu.

Ebola.

Green monkey disease.

HIV.

The Black Death.

Doomed etc.

Comment

Invasion by giant alien lizards.

Comment

Damn.

I was trying not to mention that.

Don't let on that "To Serve Man" is a cookbook...

Comment

Pay tax as you go

Well in the whole sceme of things, civilisations have risen and fallen, the world has been in and out of ice ages , long before industrial output, so wtf is Bliar and his tax hungry cronies to come and tell us, that this time, we need to pay tax before the lights go out.

The coverage of this issue was the most scary, it seems the media is not about intelligent debate but a carefully orchestrated series of speeches and statistics to indoctrinate not to educate.

If you listened to what they say, ie we COULD lost 20% of the earths GDP in by 2050, Large areas of land COULD become uninhabitable. Every is fcuking speculative, but these cnuts are going to bang on about it for long enough that everybody, including this forum will just accept this and pay up to these idiots.

George Monbiot actually pointed out that under NL, there is an intiative to actually INCREASE air traffic!?!?!, and now they are saying that they need to tax air traffic!?!? . Just one of the inconsistencies and glaring contradictions in this so called energy policy.

Obviously everybody has vested interests but if air traffic amounts for 3% of carbon emissions, wtf is it one of the focal points of these cnuts "green" policy.

I think a question I have not seen asked, is why they dont actually offer incentives for industry, rather than increasing taxation. I am sure a policy of incetivisation would achive the same goals. Unfortunately to thes barsttards, INCENTIVISATION and TAXATION are the same thing.

The thing is you can see what they are doing, and you cannot do anything about it.
                    There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                      Whenever there's a resource to be exploited (such as a very big population), something nasty comes along & exploits it...

Spanish Flu.

Ebola.

Green monkey disease.

HIV.

The Black Death.

Doomed etc.
                      A few months ago, whilst browsing the yahoo forums, I actually saw a post that went along the lines of:

HIV will work its magic in Africa.

couldn't believe that someone could say that and mean it
                      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                      X