• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit win - 11 threads into one

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    ...on Europe.

Oh well, at least we now know.
    If I was clever I would have been a politician.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      If I was clever I would have been a politician.
      Nah mate, you've not got enough skeletons in the cupboard...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post
        In or out of EU... neither will cause the world to instantly explode the minute the results are declared.
        I'd imagine the first thing to happen would be lots of corporations announcing that they're pulling out of the UK. The markets would probably take a tumble too. At best, a Britain that's in the process of removing itself from the EU is economically uncertain, and that won't be good. And if this were to happen, then who are we going to hold accountable for the decision? Not the politicians. They can rightly say "we told you so".
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
          The two newspapers with the biggest circulations in the UK are The Sun and The Daily Mail. This shows Joe Public is generally as thick as pig tulip and/or a bigot.(or the issue of the Death Penalty for that matter).
          You are not exactly a shining example of someone capable of displaying objective reasoning yourself.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by keninparis View Post
            I'm not permitted to make any comment or opinion on Europe.
            Yes you are... what odds can you get on Greece withdrawing from the euro within 6 months?

Comment

TThe public are allowed to vote for who they want at an election...
              WHS. Although I doubt an extreme option would be available to the UK electorate.

Comment

This "I don't trust the general public" argument that a lot of people spout is nonsense. The referendum is very simple...

Q) Tick only one box...

A) I want Britain to be in the EU ...........[___]
                B) I want Britain to be out of the EU .....[___]

When people say they don't trust the public, they mean "I don't trust the public to vote for the option I want to win".

In or out of EU... neither will cause the world to instantly explode the minute the results are declared. The public are allowed to vote for who they want at an election (even including parties that are allegedly extreme), so there is no reason why the can't be allowed to vote on EU membership. This is about democracy, not intellect or who is "right" or "wrong". It's about preference and opinion, not logical truth or scientific fact.

PS: I've never agreed with the death penalty. It's just plain wrong and it goes against my Christian beliefs.
                Erm, there's a little more to it than "I want/I don't want to be part of the EU". I don't think enough people understand the pros and cons of EU membership. It's all very well reading Richard Littlejohn's comments and thinking that EU membership is a terrible thing, but there are many positives to EU membership. Can you name any of them?

FWIW, I don't consider myself well informed enough to make a choice. In order to do so, I feel I'd need to know both the pros and the cons to staying part of the EU. If you're anti-EU and can't see any of the benefits of EU membership, chances are it's best that you don't have a say.

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
                  I don't think enough people understand the pros and cons of EU membership.
                  <snip>
                  If you're anti-EU and can't see any of the benefits of EU membership, chances are it's best that you don't have a say.
                  Why not? Being uninformed works both ways.

Edit: Although I agree with the first statement, certainly at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    Why not? Being uninformed works both ways.
                    Hence my OP.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                      Hence my OP.
                      Sorry, my edit came as you posted this.

My reply doesn't mean I agree with your OP.

Comment

Working...
                      X