• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit win - 11 threads into one

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Oh well. Was good whilst it lasted. I liked the UK I really did, but now it'll be reduced to sitting in the corner of the room, drooling into its beer and talking about the good old days when it ruled the world.
    **** off to Greece then; their economy is thriving. This is worse than all those Labour fans crying at the last general election after thinking they were going to win that. Smug and patronising for three months then all offended. Thinking about it, move to Liverpool, you'd fit in well.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Oh well. Was good whilst it lasted. I liked the UK I really did, but now it'll be reduced to sitting in the corner of the room, drooling into its beer and talking about the good old days when it ruled the world.
      Fortunately there are plenty of us who don't take the negative defeatest attitude that you have. This is a time to be positive.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        TBH - in ten years time I doubt we'll notice any difference between being in and being out.
        That's why I say it's a good time to take advantage of the panic.

I think the following will change. They'll all impact people, but marginally, and be barely noticeable.

1. It will be a little harder to export to Europe. They'll put up some trade barriers to "punish" us, but not enough to kill trade, just to make it harder. This will hurt some industries marginally.
        2. We'll respond with comparable barriers, which will hurt Europe's exporters, but also marginally increase the price of some goods here.
        3. There will probably be a little lower immigration, with a corresponding barely noticeable increase in average wages due to supply and demand.
        4. The public finances will marginally improve due to not sending money to the EU, and also to the proceeds from trade duties (see #2). This will probably just be wasted, but it could be used to reduce the deficit, with corresponding impact mortgage rates, etc.

The only thing people are really likely to notice is longer queues at passport control when going abroad or returning from abroad.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
          Fortunately there are plenty of us who don't take the negative defeatest attitude that you have. This is a time to be positive.
          Let us not be down-hearted Comrades! One total catastrophe like this is just the beginning!
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Sounds like my kind of party...
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post

I think the following will change. They'll all impact people, but marginally, and be barely noticeable.

1. It will be a little harder to export to Europe. They'll put up some trade barriers to "punish" us, but not enough to kill trade, just to make it harder. This will hurt some industries marginally.
              2. We'll respond with comparable barriers, which will hurt Europe's exporters, but also marginally increase the price of some goods here.
              3. There will probably be a little lower immigration, with a corresponding barely noticeable increase in average wages due to supply and demand.
              4. The public finances will marginally improve due to not sending money to the EU, and also to the proceeds from trade duties (see #2). This will probably just be wasted, but it could be used to reduce the deficit, with corresponding impact mortgage rates, etc.

The only thing people are really likely to notice is longer queues at passport control when going abroad or returning from abroad.
              Any changes will take 2 years from the activation of article 50, and if you have a British passport, there will be a seperate queue by then.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Almost correct: They will put us on the naughty step, but only to discourage the numerous other nations who may be tempted to follow the same path. Austria, Netherlands, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                  That's the spirit!

Comment

3. There will probably be a little lower immigration,
                    I think that is very much up in the air. With any negotiation, the EU may demand that free movement remain or the punishment will be even stronger.
                    4. The public finances will marginally improve due to not sending money to the EU
                    Not necessarily. Switzerland and Norway send a lot of money to the EU to pay for access. There's no real reason to think that Britain won't.
                    FTFY

The mandate is to leave the EU. The referendum said precisely zero about the ongoing relationship and what parts of EU law and custom we will keep.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                      Any changes will take 2 years from the activation of article 50, and if you have a British passport, there will be a seperate queue by then.
                      Yep the sign will change from EU passport holders to EU and British passport holders

And I would imagine UK citizen with a current EU passport will be able to keep one until it comes to the end of it's natural life.

Comment

Working...
                      X