• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cost of renting one-bed property soars in UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    For this reason alone, given the ceaseless torrent of immigration we will obviously have if we remain in the EU, anyone under the age of 30 and/or priced out of the property market must be completely deluded to even contemplate voting Remain.
    Immigrants are all unskilled low paid workers coming here for minimum wage jobs and handouts. I read it both here and in The Daily Express so it must be true. Is it them spending £1100 a month on rent?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      Immigrants are all unskilled low paid workers coming here for minimum wage jobs and handouts. I read it both here and in The Daily Express so it must be true. Is it them spending £1100 a month on rent?
      No, it's the councils doing it then charging you so that we're not in breach of their human rights. HTHBIDI
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Perhaps four to a one-bed flat? That'd be £275/month.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Nice to know we have problems and "real" problems.

The "real" problem was some complete chunt changing our gold for Euros. Can't think who that was - can somebody remind me? Oh, wait, doesn't matter. I remember. It was Gordon Brown.
          Within the Labour party, the mood is bleak. “We are sleepwalking to losing the damn thing,” lamented one senior source. One frontbencher returned from canvassing and announced to his office: “It’s just like the general election. The polls say it’ll be fine but every doorstep someone tells you to f*** off.”
          Voted Labour all the way through the 90's. But any last shred of respect I had for that party has gone now

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Unfortunately councils aren't allowed to go to the courts and get someone banned from being a landlord.

They can only get them fined so it's a waste of money especially as the fines aren't that big. If the fines were big enough so properties could be seized these issues would happen less frequently.
            Indeed. The best way would be to effectively license the landlords via a mandatory deposit scheme & annual inspection. A few infractions and you can't create a new rental agreement in the deposit scheme. Failure to work via the deposit scheme would be a criminal offence.

The inspections could cost say £120 a time and you would get a pass/fail + advisories. Reinspection within 7 days = £40 after that full fee. Failure to clear advisories in 3 months = 3 points. Fails = putting tenant up in hotel & getting it fixed. Intentional fails (no safety inspections or seriously poor repair) = 6 points.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              Indeed. The best way would be to effectively license the landlords via a mandatory summary execution by Judge Dredd after failed annual inspection.
              FTFY

Comment

they seem to manage it:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...om-east-london

Tenants were typically low-paid migrant workers or students, or trafficked foreign nationals put to work in the “hidden” economies of drugs or prostitution, he said.

“What I put it down to is London rents are so off the scale that people will live anywhere just to be able to afford to stay here. They might typically pay rent of just £200 a month. But the fact there are 15 of them in the house means the landlord is coining it.

“Last year we prosecuted a landlord who had 47 people in a property meant to house nine.”

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  FTFY
                  only if we can carve up non paying and vandal tenants for their Organs to repay their debts?

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    For this reason alone, given the ceaseless torrent of immigration we will obviously have if we remain in the EU, anyone under the age of 30 and/or priced out of the property market must be completely deluded to even contemplate voting Remain.
                    The UK cannot control non-EU immigration. Why would it do any better at EU immigration?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      only if we can carve up non paying and vandal tenants for their Organs to repay their debts?
                      Like in Repo Men...

Comment

Working...
                      X