• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have you lost a contract cos they didnt like your personality?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AttentivIS View Post
    No I dont get canned for work performance issues. I know that for a fact cos I get hired again if I was consistently poor it wouldnt happen. The recruiters would stop calling and they dont.
    You stink and/or social misfit, pervert etc.
    I'm out of ideas
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      I had a client once I did not renew with. They went ballistic. I then knew I made the right choice.
      Really? How does not renewing make them mad - I dont get it. But see what you mean.

I had one client once who used to leave renewals until day before but insisted I had to give a months notice NOT TO RENEW. They didnt get it at all. So basically they thought they could piss about until the day before but they said I had to give them notice a month before just in case they decided to throw me some crumbs from the table.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=MrMarkyMark;2263492]You stink and/or social misfit, pervert etc.
        I'm out of ideas [/Q

Thank you for your polite sensitive and well considered opinions. Everyone else had made me feel better.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Really? How does not renewing make them mad - I dont get it. But see what you mean.

I had one client once who used to leave renewals until day before but insisted I had to give a months notice NOT TO RENEW. They didnt get it at all. So basically they thought they could piss about until the day before but they said I had to give them notice a month before just in case they decided to throw me some crumbs from the table.
          But contractually of course you can just say that you intend to renew, and then decline when you get the renewal offer the day before, or when you find something else a week before.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

I had a client leave the extension right up until the end of the contract and tell me they'd have it sorted on Monday.

Come Monday afternoon, they got in touch to say the paperwork was done. I then told them I was already on another gig for 3 months. They were pissed.

Needless to say, I then went back there 3 months later. They never did that again and I stayed for another 18 months, 3 month rolling.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              I had a client leave the extension right up until the end of the contract and tell me they'd have it sorted on Monday.

Come Monday afternoon, they got in touch to say the paperwork was done. I then told them I was already on another gig for 3 months. They were pissed.

Needless to say, I then went back there 3 months later. They never did that again and I stayed for another 18 months, 3 month rolling.
              Did you get a rate increase to teach them a lesson?

Comment

Never got canned but had a serious fall out with one client manager. I made sure my work was way better than any of the permies so they couldnt find fault. Pretty sure this guy tried to get rid of me but got overruled by guy above him (who knew what I did work-wise).

In the end I had enough and didn't renew though - pity it was 8 miles from home.... :-(

But this guy was unreal. If I had a meeting in another office, he'd show up to make sure I hadnt gone home early, he'd get the permies to report when I turned up, he told me I wasnt allowed offsite during lunchtime (really!), told me I spent too long in the bog......

This guy had just been made a manager at client. Previously he had about 5 years experience in local government and he thought he knew it all. It all went pear-shaped when he called me aside one day to give me the benefit of his experience and knowledge and tell me where I was going wrong. He then didnt like it when I told him after 20+ years inc working for some multi-national big clients no-one had found fault with me before - so I didnt consider his opinion valid thank you very much. That was the end of it really.

Comment

Thank you for your polite sensitive and well considered opinions. Everyone else had made me feel better.
                  I'll add no sense of humour to the list as well then
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    But contractually of course you can just say that you intend to renew, and then decline when you get the renewal offer the day before, or when you find something else a week before.
                    Of course. We all know that...

In the beginning, I did try and explain politely but they wouldn't have so, in the end, I just gave up and let them believe what they wanted. If I'd ever wanted to leave I would have....

In the end, it never came to a head because, true to form, a day or two before the end of one extension they said "sorry budget has run out".

Comment

No I dont get canned for work performance issues.
                      Past performance is no indicator or current or future performance - just becaus someone has taken you back doesn't mean that this client didn't terminate you because you';re crap.

Man up and move on.

Comment

Working...
                      X