• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Big Data

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Yes, I work with Big Data pretty regularly. Currently looking at some model outputs that are accruing at ~60TB per day, with retrospective runs on the order of several PB. However, none of this involves DBs, other than for metadata. The models run on supercomputers and the analysis is mainly there, but the less challenging stuff is done via distributed computing with a mix of Java and R (using Spark etc.).
    Yes, that's Big Data. It's got nothing whatsoever to do with databases, it's map reduce, distributed computing, predictive analytics, data science. It's not a SQL Server DB.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      That's not big data. That's analysing structured data in a DW.

Big data is analysing something like every tweet in realtime and obtaining understanding of how the World sees your products.

BTW there's 9100 tweets per second to analyse, 24/7/365. Try that in your SQL server DB.
      So the NSA then.
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

That's not big data. That's analysing structured data in a DW.
        Big data is analysing something like every tweet in realtime and obtaining understanding of how the World sees your products.
        BTW there's 9100 tweets per second to analyse, 24/7/365. Try that in your SQL server DB.
        Crawling and analysing 81000 web pages (each 100 times bigger than max tweet) per second here ....

Comment

Yes, that's Big Data. It's got nothing whatsoever to do with databases, it's map reduce, distributed computing, predictive analytics, data science. It's not a SQL Server DB.
          Absolutely. I'm not aware of any DBs that could handle this, although DBs aren't my area (we simply don't use them, except for metadata). I do the modeling/analytics. As I say, distributed computing is used quite a lot, but all of the models themselves (and some of the analytics) run on supercomputers, with an intermediary swap (disk) space for analytics, and then tapes for archiving.

Comment

We use SAP Hana for data collection. We're tracking usage against 5000 cloud instances, who's inserted, deleted records etc, growth of application usage.

This is all then tied back using Licensing decoder I designed to make sense of it to the business. Now using for product recommendations.

But it's all business SME plus data scientists. We're hampered by the fact that IT decided to chuck the data into SAP Hana in a more unstructured manner as they reckoned it was so quick that it would handle unstructured data for analysis.

Guess what they were wrong and now having to build out a proper set of star schemas with additional
            Business input.

Most companies don't need it but call it out as Big data.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Contract I have now taken is a Big Data project. There are going to be some quite useful use cases at clientco, but initially they're buying the kit thinking it will do every form of operational, management & analytical reporting they want (including financial) just by chucking the data in.

I am still skeptical, but it's a greenfield site so will have a certain free hand. I shall report back on any real use cases over classic BI.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Contract I have now taken is a Big Data project. There are going to be some quite useful use cases at clientco, but initially they're buying the kit thinking it will do every form of operational, management & analytical reporting they want (including financial) just by chucking the data in.

I am still skeptical, but it's a greenfield site so will have a certain free hand. I shall report back on any real use cases over classic BI.
                Please do as I think we are going to be in the same boat soon.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Sounds familiar. When you buy a new hammer, everything starts to look like a nail, including your finger. What sort of kit are they buying? Hopefully starting sensibly and then scaling...

Comment

Been on a Big Data project for the last year, just think of it as a huge bucket. Great at having lots of data in one place that you can run analysis against, because its distributed compute, parallelism jobs are the way to go.

Good use case is machine logs, chuck them all in there, and analyise later.
                    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

So what is the grain you guys are capturing at?

Comment

Working...
                      X