• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Man accidentally 'deletes his entire company' with one line of bad code

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All these tails of woe. Someday someone will invent 'undelete'.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

I'd be tempted to offer to help, there's almost nothing that can't be recovered from a working hard disk, even after it has been deleted. Just a question of how much to charge...
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        I'd be tempted to offer to help, there's almost nothing that can't be recovered from a working hard disk, even after it has been deleted. Just a question of how much to charge...
        Most likely though as it was a VM the 'hard disk' would be dotted about on the underlying RAID6 on the SAN....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          Most likely though as it was a VM the 'hard disk' would be dotted about on the underlying RAID6 on the SAN....
          Then he's a bigger bell-end than I was about to give him credit for...
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Some have seen this as evidence that he's just trolling; but we've all done something like that (though hopefully less catastrophically), so maybe not
            Yep. now marked as a hoax.

Reminds me of the first week of my first 'real' job as apprentice. Inquisitive me, knowing a bit about computers, was left to have a play with the office PC. Later that day their IT help desk fell about laughing as I explained how it had stopped working after running something called "FDISK".

Couple of tricks that would have saved the day though:

Code:
            ~$ cat doh
            #! /bin/bash
            set -u
            rm "${foo}/${bar}"

~$ ./doh
            ./doh: line 3: foo: unbound variable

~$ cat duh
            #! /bin/bash
            rm "${foo:?}/${bar:?}"

~$ ./duh
            ./duh: line 2: foo: parameter null or not set

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
              Yep. now marked as a hoax.
              WHS That man who ‘deleted his entire company’ with a line of code? It was a hoax | PCWorld

Hilarious.

Comment

And, as usual, a bunch of people who had nothing to do with it are left to clean up the mess: What to do with the "rm -rf" hoax question - Meta Server Fault

Comment

Working...
                X