• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a home 1982 vs 2016

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    If you are rich, Russian or Chinese, it's a different story.

HTH.
    That's very true.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
      That's very true.
      The politics of envy. Worry about what YOU can do to improve your position and stop fretting about those who may appear to be better off.
      There is no guarantee they are any happier.
      Be glad for all the opportunities you DO have and stop being so "glass-half-empty".
      Even the worst off in this country are not watching their toddlers drowning after falling off the back of a half-inflated dinghy. All that down to nothing other than good fortune.
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Buying a home 1982 vs 2016

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        The politics of envy. Worry about what YOU can do to improve your position and stop fretting about those who may appear to be better off.
        There is no guarantee they are any happier.
        Be glad for all the opportunities you DO have and stop being so "glass-half-empty".
        Even the worst off in this country are not watching their toddlers drowning after falling off the back of a half-inflated dinghy. All that down to nothing other than good fortune.
        At the moment. In all honesty, I feel like I am work myself towards an early grave.
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

At the moment. In all honesty, I feel like I am work myself towards an early grave.
          Tell me you are a baby boomer, I will dig the grave for you.

HTH
          AtW

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            It's not 1982 anymore. Get over it. Or are you waiting for a time machine?
            It's 1984 now...

Comment

We ALL end up in the grave, nobody misses out. The secret is to focus on making the changes that you CAN to improve your life, and try to avoid worrying about those that you CANNOT influence.
              Therein lies the path to enrichment. Here endeth the lesson.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                We ALL end up in the grave, nobody misses out. The secret is to focus on making the changes that you CAN to improve your life, and try to avoid worrying about those that you CANNOT influence.
                Therein lies the path to enrichment. Here endeth the lesson.

That is such an eye opener Shaunbhoy

Let me check which "agencies" are open on Easter sunday ....

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  Sorry, you completely lost me on those first two sentences.

Secondly, very poor examples with regards to quoting utilities council tax and telecoms.

Utilities all foreign owned, previously publicly owned, price rigged and therefore poor value.
                  Maybe you feel you get value for your council tax we certainly don't feel that way in London.
                  As for telecoms, a license to print money especially as BT, previously publicly owned, have a monopoly on fast broadband.
                  I think you will find we pay a lot more, for all the above, than other countries of an equal standing, happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

If you think your government / country gives a toss about you, you are either on the wrong drugs, or are completely deluded.

If you are rich, Russian or Chinese, it's a different story.

HTH.
                  That's point I was making the country does not give a toss about you. It gives a toss about being an attractive place to live.

Which for the most part it is.

Comment

FTFY

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    That's point I was making the country does not give a toss about you. It gives a toss about being an attractive place for foreigners to live and / or invest in.

Which for the most part it is.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

This article is typical generation "y"n

What the Y'ners say ....

A reasonable one-bedroom flat costs upwards of £250,000 in Brighton,” Mr Bradfield said.

“Its so much harder today than for my parents. They were both teachers, and modestly paid, yet they bought a three-bed semi in Essex
                      So his parents could afford a house in Essex, hmm but Essex isn't Brighton is it, Brighton has always been expensive.

Lets see then what could you get for 250,000 in Essex these days....

ah lo and behold:

3 bedroom link detached house for sale in Long Meadows, Harwich, CO12
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X