• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why don't more contractors become Entrepreneurs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You wouldn't believe the amount of work involved in getting a company off the ground through pilots and into profitability from a standing start

The things that I remember are taking a PC (not a laptop) away on a family holiday so I could do the brochures / advertising etc when the kids were in bed , roping the missus into being a free call answering service during the day (some feckwits failed to realise that doing dirty phone calls to an 0800 number are easily traced!)

Then once you have your fledgling company up and running you have to take it to the next level and bet the house against it's success - not a decision to take lightly when you have small children

It really peeves me off when career politicians think companies magically spring out of the ground

In the end it is sooooo much easier to take the £500 @ day and have a family life

HTH
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      I think that quite a few do, do that. It's just youre not going to read about it on CUK because anybody who was a real entrepreneur is not going to waste their bloody time posting crap on an Internet forum.

The squirrel bothering Russian is an exception
      As his personal agent please address all your communication with him through me
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
        You wouldn't believe the amount of work involved in getting a company off the ground through pilots and into profitability from a standing start

The things that I remember are taking a PC (not a laptop) away on a family holiday so I could do the brochures / advertising etc when the kids were in bed , roping the missus into being a free call answering service during the day (some feckwits failed to realise that doing dirty phone calls to an 0800 number are easily traced!)

Then once you have your fledgling company up and running you have to take it to the next level and bet the house against it's success - not a decision to take lightly when you have small children

It really peeves me off when career politicians think companies magically spring out of the ground

In the end it is sooooo much easier to take the £500 @ day and have a family life

HTH
        Why not set up a recruitment agency?. All you need is a phone and a pair of brass boll*cks
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by KentDogWalker View Post
          Considering the coding skills we have, I wonder why not many of us just don't go ahead and form startups that generate income, instead of actually having to go and work every day?
          Lot's of contractors do, however not many CUK forumites have the desire to do so, which is explained by the amount of time they can spend on here
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I have setup loads of businesses. And lost them through divorce.....

Comment

I'm working on plan b so that I can make enough money to move to Spain. I don't expect it to match UK contracting income or make me a millionaire, but fund an early working "retirement".

Comment

So the jist of it I am getting here is that is is just too much hard work, save divine intervention.

Comment

So the jist of it I am getting here is that is is just too much hard work, save divine intervention.

Comment

Considering the coding skills we have, I wonder why not many of us just don't go ahead and form startups that generate income, instead of actually having to go and work every day?
                    Because the coding is about 10% of the work required.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      Because the coding is about 10% of the work required.
                      If that. Depends on the business of course.

Comment

Working...
                      X