• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blair To Let

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    . It is called basic laws of supply and demand I don't know whether you have ever studied this complex part of economics.
    You've confused the forum maths genius with the economics one. AtW will be along shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      I'm fine, I earn plenty. I have a nice life, stonking pension , work from home, very little stress. I may have mentioned that a few times before. I could earn more contracting but I see my little one for hours each day. longest I have ever been away from her is 2 nights.

The wife earns a fair amount too. So unlike you, its not self interest.

My concern is with the poor sods I know earning £350 a week with a family. Yes they should all become brain surgeons but we need someone to drive Buses, lorries etc. There are quite a few decent people being screwed by immigration.
      I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about a skilled tradesman who feels hard done by as an employee.
      They can start a company and TBH the only thing stopping them getting filthy rich is they won't be able to find the staff.
      I live in a well-to-do enclave populated mostly by City types and professionals, but the richest person on our road, by far, is a builder.
      So the poor sods you refer to could retrain to bricklaying say, which can't take that long surely, and earn a fortune.
      In any case why on earth do you think a bus driver should earn more than 350 a week?
      It's a relatively unskilled job.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        They may not fall but they will not rise as quickly as they might have done. .
        I don't see that in the quotes I'm getting - sky high. And I'm experienced in hiring builders.
        That and the lead time suggests that demand is far outstripping supply.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about a skilled tradesman who feels hard done by as an employee.
          They can start a company and TBH the only thing stopping them getting filthy rich is they won't be able to find the staff.
          I live in a well-to-do enclave populated mostly by City types and professionals, but the richest person on our road, by far, is a builder.
          So the poor sods you refer to could retrain to bricklaying say, which can't take that long surely, and earn a fortune.
          In any case why on earth do you think a bus driver should earn more than 350 a week?
          I wasn't talking about you
          Can I suggest if that is you intention then don't litter the sentence with the word "You".

How on earth do you think a Bus driver can afford to live on £350 a week?
          Last edited by vetran; 15 March 2016, 11:46.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

How on earth do you think a Bus driver can afford to live on £350 a week?
            They probably can't so they should do something else.
            There's plenty of jobs that pay even less than that.
            But as we both know from our builder experience, there are plenty of well paid jobs for the badly educated.
            There are however not many well paid jobs for the unskilled.
            But seriously if you are both badly educated and unskilled, why should you expect much?
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

They probably can't so they should do something else.
              There's plenty of jobs that pay even less than that.
              But as we both know from our builder experience, there are plenty of well paid jobs for the badly educated.
              There are however not many well paid jobs for the unskilled.
              But seriously if you are both badly educated and unskilled, why should you expect much?
              If you are decent & hardworking should you expect your government to encourage wage stagnation by importing cheap labour so a few mega rich can put more gold in their tax havens?
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
                Meanwhile.....

Don't blame migrants for taking your job

So, in other words, if you're a skilled tradesman it's tough sh!t that you're getting undercut by people from Eastern Europe who are willing to do the work at a substantially lower rate.
                His job was taken by a Scottish Immigrant
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

If you are decent & hardworking should you expect your government to encourage wage stagnation by importing cheap labour so a few mega rich can put more gold in their tax havens?
                  Yes that is exactly what they have been doing for hundreds of years. Why would they change?

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                    Yes that is exactly what they have been doing for hundreds of years. Why would they change?
                    c/f Irish navvies, West Indian bus drivers, Portuguese potato pickers

Comment

As SurAlan says, business is just a hobby. To make money, invest in property.

Comment

Working...
                      X