• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rotten market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Really remarkably simple, you have to do contract work to be a contractor, not perm work.

Being out of contract can be part of the game.
    In the good times you build up up the warchest for the lean times.

Surely, you are not that much of a total twunt that you cannot understand such a simple concept.

HTH
    I understand that, but if your English reading comprehension was above age 5 you'd know I'm on my first contract and haven't amassed much of a war chest yet. All options must be considered, I'm not in the "contract or bust" camp and I doubt I ever will be.

Comment

Thing is that if you switch perm-contract-perm you won't build up a good client base (or even list of agencies) for contract stuff, and when it comes to looking for perm work the agents/clients won't be interested in someone who jumps ship at the first offer of a contract.

Contracting is a bit like a round of golf. You play each hole and try to get the best score on the individual hole.
      You might get to the green and pick your ball up near the cup - with the agreement of the other players, but otherwise you don't just walk off one hole onto the next. If you do, you'll never post a score and not be able to get a handicap.
      A nice par 3 or a short 5 are contracts where you can make a birdie, a long par 4 is one where you just have to play it and hope to come out well.
      If all you want is short par 3s, then go and play pitch and putt, leave the golf to the golfers.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Thing is that if you switch perm-contract-perm you won't build up a good client base (or even list of agencies) for contract stuff, and when it comes to looking for perm work the agents/clients won't be interested in someone who jumps ship at the first offer of a contract.

Contracting is a bit like a round of golf. You play each hole and try to get the best score on the individual hole.
        You might get to the green and pick your ball up near the cup - with the agreement of the other players, but otherwise you don't just walk off one hole onto the next. If you do, you'll never post a score and not be able to get a handicap.
        A nice par 3 or a short 5 are contracts where you can make a birdie, a long par 4 is one where you just have to play it and hope to come out well.
        If all you want is short par 3s, then go and play pitch and putt, leave the golf to the golfers.
        Except it was the other way around: made redundant and did the contract, so going back to perm wouldn't be ping-pong. I wouldn't quit a perm gig to go contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
          I understand that, but if your English reading comprehension was above age 5 you'd know I'm on my first contract and haven't amassed much of a war chest yet. All options must be considered, I'm not in the "contract or bust" camp and I doubt I ever will be.
          As I said earlier you don't get this contracting lark do you?
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
            As I said earlier you don't get this contracting lark do you?
            He's a lefty Texan in Yurp. Apparently

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
              He's a lefty Texan in Yurp. Apparently
              Texan? ***** you.

Comment

Brickbats!

Comment

Originally posted by Gillingham Jilly View Post
                  Brickbats!
                  I like you.

Comment