• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear: Minister hints at pensions tax raid on middle-class savers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rapid View Post
    What impact will this have on ltd/employer contributions? for example in to a SIPP..
    Good question.

When I started to make employer contributions about 10 years ago, I think you could pay in up to £150k. I think this has gradually been whittled down over the years & now stands at something like £40k (though I could be wrong) - still way above the amount that I stick in every year.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      in what way would a "Pension ISA" be different from an ordinary ISA?
      It counts as savings if you end up unemployed and unemployable when you are 64.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I'd imagine that once you had contributed then it would be ring fenced and you could not touch it until a certain age, probably 55? To encourage this rather than a normal ISA there be be done additional incentive. We will have to wait and see what is announced.
        "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

"Pension ISA" will be exactly the same as "ordinary ISAs" only you can't touch the money until you are at least 75 years old.

The "ordinary ISAs" will be phased out with at least 55% income tax plus NICs on withdrawal.

Watch out for words "ISAs millionaires" in Chancellor's budget speech closely followed by "fairness" and "haircut".

HTH
          Last edited by AtW; 2 March 2016, 14:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
            I'd imagine that once you had contributed then it would be ring fenced and you could not touch it until a certain age, probably 55? To encourage this rather than a normal ISA there be be done additional incentive. We will have to wait and see what is announced.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Watch out for words "ISAs millionaires" in Chancellor's budget speech closely followed by "fairness" and "haircut".

HTH
              We have trained you so well.

Comment

Come to think of it - 20% corp tax, 80% left, then 38.1% tax - 49.52% left: so effective rate of 50%+ tax from next month.
                Depressing isn't it. I expect your figures are sadly right. For salary when in the 40% bracket £1 - 13.8 er NI = 87.87 2% er's NI, 40% IT = 50.96p retained.

And then of course there is VAT on whatever buy with it. That's another 7.5p. Down to 42.46.

Use it to buy about half a litre of fuel and they will have about 25p in fuel duty for good measure.

Damn pleased I live in a low tax area. :-(
                Last edited by ASB; 2 March 2016, 14:17.

Comment

When are you standing for election? You will have to become a local councillor first and gather foot soldiers to help with canvassing.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    We have trained you so well.
                    I am now 100% British mate - I whine a lot about things I don't like but do nothing about it ...

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      When are you standing for election? You will have to become a local councillor first and gather foot soldiers to help with canvassing.
                      I am unelectable

Comment

Working...
                      X