• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

View from the cockpit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
    Naturally if you fly your own plane, the view from the cockpit is the only one you get
    Horse tulip. This was my approach and final in Sweden tonight. The windows would not have helped.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Never seen it come up on the screen to be honest. But I've helped land the plane on one or more occasion.
      With a bowl of spaghetti on your lap.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        We landed before dawn. All I could see was the runway lights getting closer - and not entirely lined up with our direction of flight.
        Most of the time final is with a cross wind. In fact most of the flight the plane is crabbing to some extent, and corrected by the rudder or trim.

In layman's terms each landing requires touching the wind facing aft landing gear to the runway and then twisting the plane before touching the other aft gear followed by the nose gear . I think as a passenger it can seem a little unnerving, the advantage the pilot has is he feels it in his seat.

This is pure perfection. https://youtu.be/-4BTVzL5VDE

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
          Most of the time final is with a cross wind. In fact most of the flight the plane is crabbing to some extent, and corrected by the rudder or trim.

In layman's terms each landing requires touching the wind facing aft landing gear to the runway and then twisting the plane before touching the other aft gear followed by the nose gear . I think as a passenger it can seem a little unnerving, the advantage the pilot has is he feels it in his seat.

This is pure perfection. https://youtu.be/-4BTVzL5VDE
          It's like that almost 100% of the time a Leeds Bradford.

It's what you get when you build a airport on the side of hill that only gets crosswinds...

And even this Corncorde pilot had to abort and go round again...

Comment

"It's what you get when you build a airport on the side of hill that only gets crosswinds...

It's a bitch, that is for sure.

"And even this Corncorde pilot had to abort and go round again...

I think it's more a question of the high angle of attack needed to land the damn thing, than too bad a crosswind.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
              "It's what you get when you build a airport on the side of hill that only gets crosswinds...

It's a bitch, that is for sure.

"And even this Corncorde pilot had to abort and go round again...

I think it's more a question of the high angle of attack needed to land the damn thing, than too bad a crosswind.
              And the hump in the middle of the runway won't help with the nose up I bet??!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                And the hump in the middle of the runway won't help with the nose up I bet??!
                Nose down. Landing a Concorde with the nose up would likely result in landing under the runway.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  I flew last night from Johannesburg to Zürich. On my screen I had the usual flight location display. However, as we came into land, the view switched to the view from the cockpit.

Probably well known you jaded jet-setting lot, but I thought it was cool.
                  Got that last October going to Dubai. Standard on A380. And wifi. 2000 channels.

Hopefully MF will be along later to give us the view from the cock...

Comment

Working...
                  X