• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

There are a lot of whinging IT contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are a lot of whinging IT contractors

There are a lot of whinging IT contractors - IT Contractor & IT Contracting News & Advice

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Tell me about it....
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The whinging ones are generally the unsuccessful ones. They're generally not very bright or self-aware and so are not conscious of the fact they their whinging is really a form of subconscious mourning about the fact that they're thick as mince and hence can't compete.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        The whinging ones are generally the unsuccessful ones. They're generally not very bright or self-aware and so are not conscious of the fact they their whinging is really a form of subconscious mourning about the fact that they're thick as mince and hence can't compete.

Oh mighty sasguru what would we do without you ...

Comment

Agreed.

There's no money in it, crap rates, no work, not what it used to be, Bobbed out, you have to contribute to CUK, I haven't had any exotic holidays and also have had to claim JSA, in conjunction with experiencing a poor standard of living, since I started.

Don't even get me to discuss the stress rashes

Contractings not worth it,

Any first timers, ignore this at your peril.
          Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 26 February 2016, 22:10.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

there ain't half been some clever bastards

Comment

From a link on that page "The Slow Death of an IT Contracting Career"

You are also much less likely to be trained as a contractor and to learn new skills.

Many contractors hit one downturn too many.

During downturns, companies hold back on new systems and start them, using completely new skills when the downturn is over.

It is often a new breed of first time contractor who has those skills.Many contractors are left floundering on the beach with old skills when a recovery comes and are not able to get work, competing with many other contractors with the old skills over fewer and fewer jobs that use those old skills.

Then you have no money and you are into your forties and fifties and are not able to get any contract work.

Your last chance is to go permie again but many employers are suspicious of a ex-contract developers in their forties and fifties.

Even if you do manage to get a permie job it may be at not much more than the £35,000 a year that you used to get – and you have wasted all those years not building your career.

Of course, your IT Contracting career doesn‘t have to be like this but it does happen to many contractors.
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

So they think that the only contractors are devs? If you're a dev in your forties or fifties I would imagine that you're rather good at it and you enjoy the work.

And as for the rest, well....
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  So they think that the only contractors are devs? If you're a dev in your forties or fifties I would imagine that you're rather good at it and you enjoy the work.

And as for the rest, well....
                  Old world view.

Every role I've seen a permie do, I've now met a contractor doing the same.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Nothing wrong with 50 sobs an hour, unless you're Suity.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X