• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How would a Brexit affect the mortgage market?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
    For most the the people here inclusion in the EU has no tangible benefits ...
    Many of my clients (past, actual and potential) are in the EU as well as the UK.
    But of course if you have no cross-national demand for your skills you might take that approach.
    In which case I would question the value of your skill set rather than assume everyone is in the same (sinking) boat as you
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
      Small but significant point, a majority of the Net contributors (of which there are very few) want to leave.
      You seem to have a problem with English comprehension. Your own link says that 2/3 of Germans who are by far the biggest net contributor are happy with the Euro. Something confirmed by my recent travels there.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Virgin Money chief executive Jayne-Anne Gadhia says a Brexit could cause UK job losses and eventually cause mortgage rate increases.

Bollox. Brexit would cause GBP to tank. Increasing our competitiveness.

And there would be cheaper houses.
        Might cause those foreigners who own BTLs to try to get out before the GBP tanks too much further?

A low GBP might increase our competitiveness at exporting whatever we can, but it will make importing your next BMW harder.
        Volatile GBP helps very few.

I think all this is short term.
        Longer term we are doomed if we carry on as we are, halfway in, huge trade gap, huge deficit, no plan beyond selling BTLs to the Chinese and companies to the French and Germans.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightwave View Post
          Longer term we are doomed if we carry on as we are, halfway in, huge trade gap, huge deficit, no plan beyond selling BTLs to the Chinese and companies to the French and Germans.
          I think the trade gap and deficit will rise with Brexit, because the pound will be priced lower (as the markets have indicated in the past weeks) and hence imports will be more expensive.
          Of course if Euro tariffs are added it will be even worse.
          One interesting effect that has occurred in Norway and Switzerland is the price of food is very high - no Euro subsidies for agriculture. And the UK is far from self-sufficient in food.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Many of my clients (past, actual and potential) are in the EU as well as the UK.
            But of course if you have no cross-national demand for your skills you might take that approach.
            In which case I would question the value of your skill set rather than assume everyone is in the same (sinking) boat as you
            Well that's your prerogative, and if you spend as much time being prejudice about the EU question then I suspect the Ladies not for turning, I speak as some one who has spent a few years in Frankfurt (when the Euro was introduced, working through a Sark ltd co) and in Belgium for a couple of years (working through my ltd co) and for a Swedish company working remotely (via my ltd co). In none of these cases was being (or not) a member of the EU of any significance.

Comment

Working...
            X