• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Logging holiday request on client system

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    It might not be good for your contract though ...
    It might not, but it might be worse for your marriage.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

My approach is to put my holidays as blocks of full day appointments into the clients Outlook/Exchange system as 'not available: on holiday' and let them stumble upon them when trying to book any meetings or events that clash.

It's like a game of minesweeper. I've got two holidays booked so far for this year in Outlook that the client has yet to discover, as far as I know.

If anyone asks about my availability in advance I let them know. They can do what they like with the info in whatever system they may use. Usually it's only an issue when the PM is sorting out milestones. So if the PM is any good they will know well in advance. If they're not so good and leave it till the last minute, then tough. They'll learn. They tend to need me more than I need them, now I've a decent sized war chest.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post

Comment

Email the PM, ask him to plug it into his resource allocation in Project & confirm there is no impact on critical path. Reply thanking him, copying in client "line-manager".

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
            I certainly wouldn't be logging anything via their employee system and you even having a login to access such a thing would say they think/treat you like an employee
            Current client gave everyone a login, and asked them to sign some shady IR35 stuff.

Contractors protested.

HR/compliance officer had a meeting with contractors, told us all not to worry as they treat us exactly the same as employees, and we should just think of ourselves as regular employees for the purposes of signing this highly dubious document.

There were so many facepalms in the room. Still forced us to sign.

I essentially rewrote/reworded the document and removed some of it.

Someone must have decided it wasn't worth the hassle, as they approved it.

Many contractors have since left.
            Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

First thing I do when I get on a gig is get myself access to the clients training portal and get myself a profile and link my training schedule in with my mid year review . Can't beat using permies training systems.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                First thing I do when I get on a gig is get myself access to the clients training portal and get myself a profile and link my training schedule in with my mid year review . Can't beat using permies training systems.

Mid year review? What's that?
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Mid year review? What's that?
                  Actually it is worth mentioning just to see the reactions but I do have a sit down review every three months.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Actually it is worth mentioning just to see the reactions but I do have a sit down review every three months.
                    Is that where you discuss your 'green' and 'reds'?
                    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

In your line of work you really ought to be up the clinic at least once a month.

Comment

Working...
                      X