• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Labour isn't working

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still, things can only get better, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
      also it is worth noting that unemployment had been on the decline since 1993 - well before this shower got in, and that the economy had turned the corner. Unfortunaly for the Tories at that time they came up against a NL spin machine the like of which had not been seen before.
      the decline is greatly due to the redefining of unemployment into "disability".

I bet however that the number of Eastern Europeans employed here has gone up.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
        http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6061768.stm

UK unemployment has risen to its highest level in six years, hitting 1.7 million in the three months to August.

The rise of 42,000 took the jobless rate to 5.5%, a rise of 0.1% on the previous quarter, the Office for National Statistics said.

The number of people claiming Jobseekers Allowance reached 962,000 in September, an increase of 10,200.

Oh Dear. Luckily house price rises continue. We are all saved.

Toady this morning reported that an interest rate rise next month was "now a certainty".

Dooooooooomed.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

Another figure you could use to promote NL would be the employment figures - we now have more people in work than at any other time since figures began.

Don't want to promote NL as a roaring success by any means, but it's all relative - cherry pickking a few stats doesn't make them suddenly the worst or best.

And BTW Some of us still remember the dark days under major, i.e. 3 1/2 mill unemployed, interest rates up in double figures and inflation almost near 10% - to say NL inherited a good eceonomy is ignoring the fact that the tories created those issues also - from my undertsanding politicians have a lot less influence on economics than we imagine.

I'm still tempted to vote for DC but not on the basis of a few choice stats.
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

We need more immigration,

Gordo

Comment

Originally posted by Forumbore
              ".

I bet however that the number of Eastern Europeans employed here has gone up.
              Probably the reason why the unemployment rate is rising at the same time as the numbers employed is increasing. After all we have a booming economy according to Gordon Brown

Another dodgy NL statistic is the current inflation rate. BBC last night showed figures for the governments preferred measurement of 2.6%, the old RPI which shows 3.6% and the inflation rate on goods & services for pensioners at 5.7%
              Not sure what rate affects the average contractor household but you can bet its not the 2.6% one. Probable cert that interests are on the up

Comment

Originally posted by snaw
                Lies, damned lies and statistics.

Another figure you could use to promote NL would be the employment figures - we now have more people in work than at any other time since figures began.

Don't want to promote NL as a roaring success by any means, but it's all relative - cherry pickking a few stats doesn't make them suddenly the worst or best.

And BTW Some of us still remember the dark days under major, i.e. 3 1/2 mill unemployed, interest rates up in double figures and inflation almost near 10% - to say NL inherited a good eceonomy is ignoring the fact that the tories created those issues also - from my undertsanding politicians have a lot less influence on economics than we imagine.

I'm still tempted to vote for DC but not on the basis of a few choice stats.
                We have nearly 4 million unemployed (including IBers). People in work may be at a record high but many of those are govt created nothing jobs, & Eastern Europeans. John major took the Uk into the ERM which severly damaged the economy but labour fully supported the policy.

It seems to be you as much as anyone who is "cherry picking" and spinning facts. Whoever is in power 4 million unemployed is a disgrace, especially when huge numbers of immigrants are finding jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Forumbore
                  ...John major took the Uk into the ERM which severly damaged the economy but labour fully supported the policy...
                  No, they didn't just support it: both liebour and the Lib Dems were fecking calling for Lamont's head for not joining the ERM sooner!
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
                    No, they didn't just support it: both liebour and the Lib Dems were fecking calling for Lamont's head for not joining the ERM sooner!
                    And they still both want to join the Euro!

Comment

[QUOTE=Mordac]Tu me prends pour quelqu'un qui en a quelque chose à foutre. QUOTE]

The fish says:

"You take to me for somebody who has something with foutre of it."

What's foutre, some sort of naughty word?

Comment

Working...
                      X