• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

habeas corpus

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For, on this first full day that the Military Commissions Act is in force, we now face what our ancestors faced, at other times of exaggerated crisis and melodramatic fear-mongering:

A government more dangerous to our liberty, than is the enemy it claims to protect us from.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
      For, on this first full day that the Military Commissions Act is in force, we now face what our ancestors faced, at other times of exaggerated crisis and melodramatic fear-mongering:

A government more dangerous to our liberty, than is the enemy it claims to protect us from.
      Stop being a fecken drama queen, you queen!

The act is a direct result of advice issued by the Supreme Court.

So you see, justice has worked!

Mailman

Comment

I last visited the US before 9/11. The advent of fingerprinting for people entering or even just passing through made me think twice about ever going again. Now, with this new law, I'm definitely never going again and if flying somewhere requiring a stop-over, I'll make sure my plane stops over in Mexico instaed of LAX. I don't feel like being "disappeared" because I've been critical of Dubya somewhere on some Internet forum...
        Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
          I don't feel like being "disappeared" because I've been critical of Dubya somewhere on some Internet forum...
          Maaaaaaaaate, take a reality pill or stop smoking the happy stuff for fecks sake

What are you worried about? Making some naughty comments about GW on some insignificant website no one of importance visits? But if you really want to see how silly your comment is just look at all the loons who criticise GW in public...IF anyone was going to go missing then you are a long way down the list behind those morons

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
            Maaaaaaaaate, take a reality pill or stop smoking the happy stuff for fecks sake

What are you worried about? Making some naughty comments about GW on some insignificant website no one of importance visits? But if you really want to see how silly your comment is just look at all the loons who criticise GW in public...IF anyone was going to go missing then you are a long way down the list behind those morons

Mailman
            I personally am not worried about anything, I was being facetious. However, I will still not fly to/through the US on principle.

People are being disappeared though - up to 2000 by February 2002. Less than 6 months after 9/11. I wonder how many have gone now...

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/...icle204971.ece

(Full article re-printed here if you don't have a log-in - http://www.commondreams.org/views02/0226-08.htm)

Comment

The United States will preserve its rights, capabilities, and freedom of action in space... and deny, if necessary, adversaries the use of space capabilities hostile to US national interests
              So they might put a stop to Galileo, the european GPS?

U.S. Deputy Secretary of Defense Paul Wolfowitz sent a letter to all 15 European Union defense ministers ... urging them to influence their governments not to proceed with Galileo.
              Wolfowitz's rationale, according to Gantelet and published reports, was that the United States Defense Department, which funds and operates GPS, plans to upgrade the system's capabilities and use more frequencies for signals. The European system, Wolfowitz reportedly cautioned, could interfere with that.
              -- Wired.com

Comment

I personally am not worried about anything, I was being facetious. However, I will still not fly to/through the US on principle.
                Please use the internationally recognised signs of [facetious] and [/facetious] in future!

Mailman

Comment

I don't feel like being "disappeared" because I've been critical of Dubya somewhere on some Internet forum...
                  Speaking of which, are the PCG still on your case Bob?

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman

Mailman
                    Couldn't happen

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                      Speaking of which, are the PCG still on your case Bob?
                      No, that's all sorted. To be fair, the PCG themselves were never really on my case. It was more a case of a few morons who happened to be members of the PCG being on my case.

Comment

Working...
                      X