• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Three month advanced warning.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Cause it's not very human being? :

This is the same old argument so not worth going over but looking for gigs too early meaning you have to ditch them 2 weeks before contract end is as tight as it gets IMO. Just last the 2 weeks out and do it properly. If you can't organise flexibility then stay. Leaving mid gig maybe. A few weeks before the end to stick it to the client just because he told you early you won't get a renewal is just mehhhhhh

Hardly surprising clients treat us badly at the end of gigs. What goes around comes around.

But please PC. If you are going to say hell yeah to giving notice please don't moan about clients treating you harshly when they are working to contract. Makes you look a bit ridiculous.

Anyway, as I say that my opinion and other have theirs and nothing will change.
    OK. To clarify - a month before end client says sorry no renewal. So you get a gig but want to leave two weeks early. You're on a week notice so you speak to the client. Not sure how many clients in this situation would say not happy with that you've got to stay.

If so, then you've got a decision. Speak to new client and try and put it back. If not then yes you MAY have to tell current client Im sorry. BUT you tried to be nice about it but that can only go far.

Of course, if you have no notice period then its a bit more to think about just not turning up.

Completely different is the following:-
    1. Client knows there is no renewal on the table or just plain cant be bothered to try and sort it out until the last minute. Tells contractor nothing. Then come last week depending on which one, contractor gets canned at last minute, or not.

Yes contractually its all ok but if I've been a client for while/got good relationship its nice to think they'd consider me a bit too. Like I said, current client does this others in the past have not.

2. Works same way for contractor. If they know they are not planning to accept extension in next 3-4 weeks then its only fair to let client know. After all, after a few extensions clients do sometimes assume things.

Again contractually, you dont have to do this. You could keep your head down and hope no-one notices and jsut not turn up one day. But I think thats bad form if you've been at client for a while.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Then come last week depending on which one, contractor gets canned at last minute, or not.
      Jesus.. He doesn't get canned. He leaves at the end of the agreed term and the contract expires as was agreed right at the beginning. He should have completed a handover and wound down at this point until told otherwise.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I think part of it is understanding the industry that you're in. If they consistently operate a "can you start on Monday" approach, then why put yourself in the situation in the first place? You're putting your limited company's reputation at risk.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
        X