• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scrap Banking Guarantees for Savers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Guarantee is per banking license - a number of "banks" now work under umbrella of same group with a single banking license, so you might be in for a surprise thinking you had it all covered...

A better way of doing it is this: pay some bum on a street a fiver a month for him to keep deposit in his name. Perhaps some some mobile based aggregation service for bums to provide such services could be my plan B...
    Santander alone own about half of the banks, all under one licence....

Doomed I tell ya!

Comment

The good news is that big banks in UK won't fail - Govt will have to bail out again, done it once, markets know it, so they won't be considering it a real risk which is the only reason those banks won't fail ...

Comment

If all else fails it's back to this for me
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
          If all else fails it's back to this for me
          What you are going back to selling duvets?

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
            What you are going back to selling duvets?

Sure am everyone needs good quality sleep, maybe I'll get in on some tempur action have you seen how much they charge for their mattresses
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Guarantee is per banking license - a number of "banks" now work under umbrella of same group with a single banking license, so you might be in for a surprise thinking you had it all covered...

A better way of doing it is this: pay some bum on a street a fiver a month for him to keep deposit in his name. Perhaps some some mobile based aggregation service for bums to provide such services could be my plan B...
              hence the £1m total when there are 155 banks suitable for PRA finding 15 that aren't linked should be reasonably easy. Also as I have a wife the amount doubles if we have a joint account. So £150k is possible per bank account.

Happy for you to pay me a £5 a month to sit on your cash. It might not be there when you get back.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                Sure am everyone needs good quality sleep
                Important to decide really, as a starter for 10, if you are going to be in the asleep, or awake business.

HTH.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Former Co-op Bank executives banned from senior financial roles - BBC News

The Co-op Bank came close to collapse in 2013.

In addition to the bans, the PRA fined Mr Tootell £173,802 and Mr Alderson was fined £88,890.
                  Those fines are pathetic. They should be inprisoned for 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    hence the £1m total when there are 155 banks suitable for PRA finding 15 that aren't linked should be reasonably easy. Also as I have a wife the amount doubles if we have a joint account. So £150k is possible per bank account. Happy for you to pay me a £5 a month to sit on your cash. It might not be there when you get back.
                    Risk of divorce is much higher than that of bank going bust

Big banks like Lloyds won't go bust without bailout, as long as property prices go up and up, like they always do, especially in Birmingham...

Comment

How exactly would that help economy? So banks could take more risks and don't have to contribute to that security fund ?

Comment

Working...
                      X