• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Possible career re-invention for obsolete skillsets?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's more a case of "emptying your boots" in the first instance.
    Quite expensive.
    I don't understand the other 2 questions!

Comment

Originally posted by dinosaur View Post
      I don't understand the other 2 questions!
      I'm really not sure that you are "cut out" then
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Better of learning how to be a plasterer, painter and decorator, spark or some building related trade.
        Off
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by dinosaur View Post
          yes
          I have always extended my skill set on the job.
          As a contractor I quite often get pulled into other peoples problems, learn something new. Spend sometime reading, Youtube and before the contract ends you have some more skill to add to your CV.

Training is ok, as long as you can use it on the current/next contract, a few months pass you will forget most of it.

I asked about the degree, because IMO without one, 80% of companies will not hire you. No matter how much training you have.
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
            I asked about the degree, because IMO without one, 80% of companies will not hire you. No matter how much training you have.
            Completely untrue.

I don't have a degree and have, only, contracted for big blue chip corporates, 16 years+.
            I have spent the last 7 years in IB, never had a problem, even if it has been a "prerequisite".

But, I am brilliant, of course
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              Completely untrue.

I don't have a degree and have, only, contracted for big blue chip corporates, 16 years+.
              I have spent the last 7 years in IB, never had a problem, even if it has been a "prerequisite".

But, I am brilliant, of course
              I was referring to the OP current circumstances.
              Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                I was referring to the OP current circumstances.
                Apologies, I thought you were talking generally.

OK, but often, you will find employers are more interested in professional qualifications, than a degree.

Also, we all have to start somewhere and when I started no one was interested in whether I had a degree, either.
                They were only interested in my skills.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

one of my friends is an outstanding "Gas Engineer" and I kid you not, some days he replaces 2-3 boilers taking between 300-500 per boiler.

Comment

Working...
                  X