• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

london living

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd argue the crappiest line with you - try get the district regularily and you'll look on the northern with a tinge of envy.

Saying that you could the overland trains at Clapham as well, not cheap not expensive (I think - not looked to buy in Clapham so I'm guessing). If I wasd a young single guy I'd be living in Clapham.

Angel I like but not been out up there for a year, so maybe it's changed - but from my memories it was no more dangerous than any other buzzy bit of London around closing time.

300K would buy you at least a one bedroom flat in any of those locations (Even primrose hill) - you want more4 space you have to spend more or range further.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

thanks alll
      just to clear things up though... i am married no kids..
      2 bedrooms is a must...
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

Originally posted by kramer
        thanks alll
        just to clear things up though... i am married no kids..
        2 bedrooms is a must...

Stay up North, and stay away from our women.

Comment

How about the "gateway to the south" - good old Balham! I had a two-bed flat there up until about 10 years ago, and had both the overground and underground within three minutes walk. I'm sure it's a lot more expensive than it used to be, but you've got Wandsworth, Clapham and Tooting Bec commons, and reasonable restaurants and pubs (or used to have). It also only takes about 20 minutes into Victoria, or you can get to the City on the Northern line
          Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN
            Stay up North, and stay away from our women.
            most of them are northern lasses on the run anyway.... send em back so we can give them a smack for running away!
            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

Originally posted by kramer
              most of them are northern lasses on the run anyway.... send em back so we can give them a smack for running away!
              You're right, we'll send you back the fat ugly ones from the North.

Seriously though, there's a really fit one from up North who works just a few desks away, lovely figure and always wears great tight trousers or skirts. mmmmm

Comment

I have two flats in Higbury, both conversions, one with a garden, 3 bed and 2 bed, its a nice quiet area, and a very short walk to the more buzing areas of upper Street, nice parks near by as well. I also have a 6 bed house in Bromley, more urban, near to parks, and just 10 minutes walk into the shops & pubs. All very nice.

I think being single I'd go for somewhere like Highbury, as Bromley is a little bit more urban.
                SA says;
                Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by hattra
                  How about the "gateway to the south" - good old Balham! I had a two-bed flat there up until about 10 years ago, and had both the overground and underground within three minutes walk. I'm sure it's a lot more expensive than it used to be, but you've got Wandsworth, Clapham and Tooting Bec commons, and reasonable restaurants and pubs (or used to have). It also only takes about 20 minutes into Victoria, or you can get to the City on the Northern line
                  You are all probably not aware of how expensive is Balham now. For a 2-bed house we are talking well over 400k. Not sure I would really spend that money to be on zone 3 only because of the pubs and restaurants. It still is a alittle bit dodgy in my opinion as it kept his original character.
                  I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Dont move to clapham unless you fancy being shoulder to shoulder with drunken, jumped up twenty somethings with nothing better to do than drink in the overpriced bars every night.

Its devoid of any real shops, amenities or spirit.

The northern line ride from there is apparently one of the most soul destroying things ever as well.

Ive been there on a few nights out and its OK - but live there? No thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
                      I think being single I'd go for somewhere like Highbury, as Bromley is a little bit more urban.
                      Surely you mean Bromley is suburban?!?!

For Inner London I'd go for the old Victorian/Edwardian areas of south/so east London, like Sydenham, Forest HIll, Crystal Palace, Brockley, GipsyHill. Area's that are a little run down but full of decent housing stock, good parks compared to the rest of london, good links to the City thru London Bridge/cannon st/charing x that are now on the up especially when the underground arrives.
                      SW postcodes south of the river are nice but expensive.

Areas to avoid, Docklands (no community) , East London generally (becomming a ghetto) and NW London

Comment

Working...
                      X