• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How often do you take off dividends

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, it's just your phrasing "You don't declare a dividend if the company is [using ALL profits] making employer contributions to the pension plan" seemed quite a strong statement. In the context being discussed, fine, just checking!
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Cheers everyone, I have always avoided monthly dividends as I thought it looked dodgy, was surprised to see a quarter of people do this.

I started Ad-hoc and moved to twice yearly
      Some people have suggested that it might look like salary, but as long as the paperwork is correct and there is profit to cover it then you should be fine.

When I pay mine I have a different payment reference, I have the paperwork (voucher and meeting minutes), and I know there is plenty of retained profit so even if I moved to monthly dividends then I wouldn't worry about it.

I used to have an offset mortgage so at the start of the tax year I'd take a big dividend and whack it in there to reduce the interest bill. Now that I don't have the mortgage, I whack a lump sum into my different Santander 123 accounts and get some interest that way.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I generally issue them Ad-hoc but hopefully I'll move to twice yearly in the new financial year.
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

I do it as and when which ends up being monthly or more. But next year I might move to quarterly then annually after a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Some people have suggested that it might look like salary, but as long as the paperwork is correct and there is profit to cover it then you should be fine.

When I pay mine I have a different payment reference, I have the paperwork (voucher and meeting minutes), and I know there is plenty of retained profit so even if I moved to monthly dividends then I wouldn't worry about it.

I used to have an offset mortgage so at the start of the tax year I'd take a big dividend and whack it in there to reduce the interest bill. Now that I don't have the mortgage, I whack a lump sum into my different Santander 123 accounts and get some interest that way.
            O/T Have you seen the changes to the Santander 123 accounts? They have upped the fee's
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              O/T Have you seen the changes to the Santander 123 accounts? They have upped the fee's
              Yes, but as long as you have enough money (£9000 as a basic rate tax payer, £8600 from April) then it's the best account to have for the interest alone. My joint account gets more than £5 a month back in cashback every month before the interest charges.

Martin Lewis says that as long as you have some cashback and at least £5k then it's probably the best to have still.

I'm considering opening a third one in the new tax year as well.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Yeah, we have a mortgage with Santander and I think the cashback on that alone covers the fee.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                X