• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"I read somewhere..."

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camoron could have negotiated for that in the beginning but he was too arrogant.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...on-seven-years

looks like they are starting to realise Brexit will hurt them.
      Er no, it hasn't. Unnamed sources... an advisor suggested... high ranking UK officials... Absolutely nothing of substance in the whole article. Maybe I should make something up, print it on some official EU notepaper and send it out because that's all this article is, hot air. Sorry...
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Camoron could have negotiated for that in the beginning but he was too arrogant.
        indeed. I don't think we should take it, better offers will come.

If our government had wanted to they could have delayed the accession countries for 7 years within the EU.

They didn't they wanted cheap labour to hold wages down.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

So UK will still be paying £350 mln per week, and be in EU for all intents and purposes other them total free movement from there to UK (and presumably less of same from UK to EU too), and THAT will be called Brexit???

I say that until we can buy non-EU compliant bananas it's not Brexit.

Comment

We're going to hear a lot of this low level noise over the coming months. There are as many vested interests as people paying attention. Compare and contrast with reports yesterday that Merkel had taken Hamface aside at the recent EC meeting and told him that he shouldn't feel bad, as concessions on free movement were never on the table. Anyway, imagine May trying to push a 7-year suspension of reality past her backbenchers, the MSM, and much of the country after what we've just experienced

Perhaps the EU will ultimately consider an EEA+, but it would need to be permanent and IMHO the freedoms vs. unfettered single market access are a rock and hard place on a permanent footing. I think Johnson is wrong about a compromise on that.

However, whatever the shape of a deal might be, May is going to struggle with the current alignment of Parliament. If Corbyn wins the leadership contest, expect May to announce a GE in the Autumn, despite what she's been saying.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              If Corbyn wins the leadership contest, expect May to announce a GE in the Autumn, despite what she's been saying.
              And 5 year fixed Parliaments go out of the window?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                And 5 year fixed Parliaments go out of the window?
                Yes, absolutely. This is politics Promises go out the window when it's politically expedient. No problem in repealing it in the Commons (I remember chuckling when the Act imposed tighter constraints than those necessary to repeal it ). It will need to get through the Lords too which, I admit, is more uncertain, but should be doable.

Comment

They won't call GE because they won't get majority this time around, I certainly won't vote for them now or ever.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    They won't call GE because they won't get majority this time around, I certainly won't vote for them now or ever.
                    I hesitate to mention the polls ... but May is 36 points ahead of Corbyn, and that's difficult to dispute or turn around. However, yes, she obviously won't call a GE unless she's near certain of a landslide.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                      I hesitate to mention the polls ... but May is 36 points ahead of Corbyn, and that's difficult to dispute or turn around. However, yes, she obviously won't call a GE unless she's near certain of a landslide.
                      Genital warts would poll ahead of Corbyn....
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X