• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hot and Moist

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I bet whatever conclusion you attempt to draw, I can cherry pick other data to show the opposite.

Or I will pick a different context.....
    Well, just for fun, try it. You obviously have to widen the view or at least not narrow it (more info == more meaningful conclusion).

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
      I refer you to the thread title.
      People are probably thinking of this:

Oh, and expect certain quarters to claim the extreme rainfall numbers are merely a consequence of new rain gauges in wet places.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
        People are probably thinking of this:
        The new record was said to have been set in a rain gauge at Honister Pass, just a mile away from Seathwaite, the farm that previously held the record and which has traditionally had the reputation for being the wettest place in the country too. However, Honister Pass is*700 feet higher*up the mountain, so we would expect it to be wetter even than Seathwaite. Morever Honister has only been in operation since 1970, and then only intermittently. In other words, the ‘new record’ is most likely down to someone installing a new rain gauge in a really wet place.
        Cumbria's floods can't just be blamed on the 'climate change bogeyman' - Spectator Blogs
        My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

meanwhile, more bad news for pj 'mollusc' Clarke

I hear he has been having sleepless nights over whether to defend the molluscs who will suffer from dredging or the earthworms who suffer when the plains get flooded.

tough choices eh ?
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I sleep just fine. Thanks.

Comment

Any Takers?

I, Mark Boslough, being of sound mind, do hereby challenge any individual or organization to a $25,000 bet that global warming is real and will continue. If the climatological average global land surface temperature goes up again in 2016, setting another new record, the party that accepts my challenge must donate $25,000 to a science education nonprofit of my choice. If not, I will donate $25,000 to a nonprofit designated by the accepting party.

Details are below. But it doesn't matter. It's a sucker bet. Everyone knows that global warming is real.
              Are Climate Bullies Afraid to Bet Me? | Mark Boslough

BTW, the last year in which the climatological average did NOT increase year on year was 1976. Good luck!

Comment

Land temperature trends aren't reliable.Watts et al.: U.S. Warming Overestimated by 50% « Roy Spencer, PhD
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  That would be the claim made by Watts back in 2012 with great fanfare. Any year now, they will release the data to back it up

Comment

Are Climate Bullies Afraid to Bet Me?Â*|Â*Mark Boslough

BTW, the last year in which the climatological average did NOT increase year on year was 1976. Good luck!
                    Sounds like a big fat straw man to me.

"If we don't reduce CO2 by this much by this time, temps will be this high and run away due to feedback, with catastrophic results."
                    ... some time passes...

I bet you the temp will be [no specific magnitude] higher next year! See... no takers. I win!

Lol.

Comment

That would be the claim made by Watts back in 2012 with great fanfare. Any year now, they will release the data to back it up
                      Already been done, read the paper. It was only announced a couple of weeks ago.

co-authored by J. Christy a lead author in IPCC report on temperature trends. Years of research in this paper.

No doubt you'll quote an anonymous blogger who'll shoot it down in flames after an hour or two surfing the internet and reading a "climate research for dummies" guide.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X