• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Environment Agency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    When the greenie eco-loon talks about looking after where we live, he means looking after the molluscs that live in the gravel at the bottom of un dredged water courses.
    He doesn't give a toss about the people
    Hmmmm… what you can be reasonably sure of is that when EO's guru, Andrew Montford puts finger to keyboard, reality packs its bags and says adios.

Take the Cumbrian floods, after asserting that they were nothing to do with global warming, nope, no sir, no way, Montford proposed that the new 24 hr rainfall record was an instrumental artefact, nothing to see here, just 'someone installing a new rain gauge in a really wet place.' ;

My Cumbrian relatives laughed their socks off at that one. I guess the 48 hr record, set a few miles away, was just an extraordinarily unfortunate coincidence.

And they call themselves 'sceptics'.

Cumbria's floods can't just be blamed on the 'climate change bogeyman' - Spectator Blogs

Record breaking December rainfall | Met Office News Blog
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
      Hmmmm… what you can be reasonably sure of is that when EO's guru, Andrew Montford puts finger to keyboard, reality packs its bags and says adios.

Take the Cumbrian floods, after asserting that they were nothing to do with global warming, nope, no sir, no way, Montford proposed that the new 24 hr rainfall record was an instrumental artefact, nothing to see here, just 'someone installing a new rain gauge in a really wet place.' ;

My Cumbrian relatives laughed their socks off at that one. I guess the 48 hr record, set a few miles away, was just an extraordinarily unfortunate coincidence.

It's refreshing to see you add another string to your bow pj,

now your scientific repertoire has doubled from the ad-hominem attack
      to the ad-hom plus anecdotal evidence

pretty soon, if this trend continues, you will learn to understand the difference between weather and climate
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
        Rivers flood. Natures defence is flood plains. We build houses on flood plains then get all arsey that houses get flooded out. The water has to go somewhere...

Kudos for finding that image - Where is the place?

Or is it your house?
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Why is it the Tories fault??

Anyway there are a number of problems

1) We have built on flood plains and not put adequate defences in
          2) There was an EU ruling a number of years ago about not being able to dredge local watercourses for fear of endangering various creatures habitats thus these water courses now have a reduced capacity and so flood more easily.
          3) The main problem is the UK's water reclamation and management system is about 40 years out of date - it has not been updated to cope with the extra surface water caused by the increase in concreting over gardens etc and general population increase - we have huge floods now and then droughts come summer.
          4) It has been an a warm winter - so water is not being tied up in ice or snow and then thawing (slowly) ish but it has fallen as a lot of rain in a short space of time.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            Why is it the Tories fault??

Anyway there are a number of problems

1) We have built on flood plains and not put adequate defences in
            2) There was an EU ruling a number of years ago about not being able to dredge local watercourses for fear of endangering various creatures habitats thus these water courses now have a reduced capacity and so flood more easily.
            3) The main problem is the UK's water reclamation and management system is about 40 years out of date - it has not been updated to cope with the extra surface water caused by the increase in concreting over gardens etc and general population increase - we have huge floods now and then droughts come summer.
            4) It has been an a warm winter - so water is not being tied up in ice or snow and then thawing (slowly) ish but it has fallen as a lot of rain in a short space of time.

spot on.
            well said.

I would like to add that those responsible have been handed perfect scapegoat which is so quasi religious, the only flood defence we have left is to sacrifice another virgin.
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              if this trend continues, you will learn to understand the difference between weather and climate
              I'll get back to climate presently, for now just look at what the weather is doing ...

On Wednesday, the North Pole will be warmer than Western Texas, Southern California, and parts of the Sahara.
              “Most Terrifying” Weather Ends a Hot 2015 | Climate Denial Crock of the Week
              My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Kudos for finding that image - Where is the place?

Or is it your house?
                It's from the states. Remember it from a few years back...
                http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

On Wednesday, the North Pole will be warmer than Western Texas, Southern California, and parts of the Sahara.
                  The temperature will temporarily rise from -36 to -2 actually for a few hours as a storm passes over and then drop back to -36.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

pj, I don't mean to be unkind, but you are irrelevant in this discussion. we don't need your religious mumbo jumbo
                    (\__/)
                    (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                      The temperature will rise from -36 to -2 actually for a few hours
                      A 34 degree increase in a few hours? By end of January it will be hotter than the sun....

Comment

Working...
                      X