• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stop speaking at work? Any suggestion?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daywalker
    Missed the point again, man you are simple.

He doesn't speak, period. I don't want/expect him to ask me about my weekend, even if he has done so the past 7 months. A complete attitude and personality change doesn't bother me, he didn't come into work like this at the start. I am not talking about generalisations, it is not just me he is not speaking to, it is everyone.

Work is suffering, the quality of work and the department I work in, stop twisting the meaning of the thread francko.
    Are you sure that maybe he speaks but you cannot hear? Have you been to the otologist recently?
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

I'm on a contract at the moment where one of the bosses has put two completely different individuals into an office with a hidden camera to see their reactions after a few months working together.

One is a gung ho style contractor who posts on the internet, yabbas on all day about hookers, cars & money and hates quiet types.

The other is a quiet type, religous contractor, who also posts on the internet but believes that silence is golden. His pious attitude means he hates loud mouthed contractors and actually snapped and beat his previous colleague almost to death for suggesting he did some work.

Interesting...
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Knob
        Is that what you heard now? See.... he can speak.
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
          I'm on a contract at the moment where one of the bosses has put two completely different individuals into an office with a hidden camera to see their reactions after a few months working together.

One is a gung ho style contractor who posts on the internet, yabbas on all day about hookers, cars & money and hates quiet types.

The other is a quiet type, religous contractor, who also posts on the internet but believes that silence is golden. His pious attitude means he hates loud mouthed contractors and actually snapped and beat his previous colleague almost to death for suggesting he did some work.

Interesting...

Is that legal?

Comment

Is that legal?
            I think 'Duh!' is appropriate response here.

Have you wondered about why this chap may not be speaking to you?

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Difficult one, this. There’s not a lot you can do but grit your teeth and think about the end of your (or his) contract. Is it too late to move desks? I have found that putting oneself amongst female company works wonders. Not easy in IT, granted, but females do seem to provide a balance at work. My co-worker is pleasant, has interesting things to say, makes the day go by very nice. She’s good-looking too.
              "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Missed the point again, man you are simple.
                I think we are starting to understand your colleague's position

Who is responsible for allocating work? If its not you just do your share and let the manager deal with it. Doesn't he get any phone calls? I'd get some mates to phone him up, pretend they dialled him by mistake and really they need to speak to you. Try this and let us know what happens. Better still post his number and we can all ring him for a chat!
                Only the mediocre are ever at their best

Comment

My money is on the quiet bloke. I reckon he's sat there, looking at you, thinking about how he's going to ram that pencil up your nose.

In fact I think this may be you & your colleague. link
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Generalist
                    I think we are starting to understand your colleague's position

Who is responsible for allocating work? If its not you just do your share and let the manager deal with it. Doesn't he get any phone calls? I'd get some mates to phone him up, pretend they dialled him by mistake and really they need to speak to you. Try this and let us know what happens. Better still post his number and we can all ring him for a chat!
                    Yes, give him a telemessage with London Zoo’s phone number on it. Tell him a Mr G Raaf called. Or how about one of those numbers with the predictive answering? There’s one where the caller is a Mr Angry-type with a complaint. You should get 5 min. fun out of that one.
                    "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

I used to work at a software house. Feck me it was silent. All the codemonkeys sat there with their headphones on listening to their music, coding away. Walked into the support depatment where it was noisy with things being thrown across the room and, wow, people actually talking to each other.

What's the old joke? Did you hear the one about the extrovert software developer? He looks at your shoes instead of his own...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                      X