• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buy to let stamp duty surcharge and other related news

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Much needed landlords?

No-one needs more than one house.

Comment

Think of the Brownsons

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-campaign.html
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

A fair comment under the article:

£190k a year in London is nothing after 40% tax NI and mortagage repayments, council tax and bills. Average 1 bed flat in a half decent area is now £500k. People who live out of London have no idea. Who on earth do you think is financing the generous welfare state and tax credits for under achievers who want to work 2 days a week? These people!
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Ah - we should be thanking the Brownsons!

Thanks guys.
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

No, a stupid comment
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Poor landlords and their much needed rental properties. Which are only needed because of the >1 million btl properties bought under the Labour government.

And as for their 'business model'! For the vast majority it is an investment, not a business. They should get no more tax relief than someone buying shares.

I'm currently contemplating let to buy, although not sure if morally it's the right thing to do. But if I do I'll pay the tax and not go whinging that I have to pay something that there should never have been a tax break for.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                And as for their 'business model'! For the vast majority it is an investment, not a business. They should get no more tax relief than someone buying shares.
                I am pretty sure investment businesses are allowed to treat interest on their debt as allowable expense.

Comment

Maybe we could hold a benefit concert of a bring-and-buy sale or something.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    I am pretty sure investment businesses are allowed to treat interest on their debt as allowable expense.
                    If they are an incorporated business, yes.

But the BTL "businesses" are just individuals trying to claim it back from their higher rate taxes as employees somewhere.

It's all wrong. Stop the BTL mortgages now. End of. They shouldn't even exist.

If you want to run a property letting "business", form a business entity and get funding just like any other business does through a business loan.

Or pay cash as an individual and become a landlord with your capital.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      If you want to run a property letting "business", form a business entity and get funding just like any other business does through a business loan.
                      Business loans? Try to setup new company and then get one (small 5 digits one) in a bank.

Comment

Working...
                      X