• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

London is less safe than Europe - discuss

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess it's the same as in Paris (but with good food and no funny people ) . The thing is that I want to be perfectly bilingual and I kinda like anglosaxon mentality.
    Paris , London, Berlin ... etc all big cities in the world are scared . It's good to write "NOT SCARED" but actually we really do . Stop living and hide ? Facing and show off ?
    I am really confused . Minute ago, I've just read a news saying that a women bombed herself during an assault near paris ...
    At the end, our time in here is limited though we just don't know the WHEN . So what do we do ?

Comment

This thread is moving into General territory.

Stay on topic with Business/Contracts or I will remove any further posts.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Lola C View Post
        You are right, he may not have to. I am talking about how probable it is that he will have to travel, which is in my opinion very probable. Then there is an aspect of a relatively low living standard in the UK/London, like poor housing, poor food quality, overcrowdedness etc. I just felt it was my duty to share an opinion, as i am from outside of the UK myself.
        London is one of the most exciting, richest and most cosmopolitan cities in the world. I have lived here for over 10 years and even New York doesn't compare to it.

I have been able to go from one lucrative, high profile, big brand contract to the next partially because there is so much opportunity in this city. And then so many fun ways to spend the money earned. I live in South London, which is pretty cheap - I bought a beautiful period property a few years ago, pay just £600 per month as a mortgage, leaving me with around £8000 in disposable money per month. My property has shot up in value in this time and it's only a 15 min train ride to get to the centre of the action - theatres, museums, bars and amazing shops.

Food here is amazing - the old view of UK food as poor is long dead. It's not even about English food anymore - it's French, Italian, Mexican, Indian, Thai...I could go on... You can get Michelin star food for about £30 if you book through Opentable. I recommend Orrery for lunch.

Not once have I been pick-pocketed, not once have I ever walked around in fear of a terror attack! In London there are beautiful, green, leafy parts of the city, with towering Georgian buildings, and red-brick Victorians, and quaint, quirky shops and delis. Then there are the poorer parts of the city - shabby and full of £1 stores.

You know very well when you're in one or the other... I freely go from one to another without fear or issue, but you can, of course, choose to simply walk around in the wealthy areas. But England as a whole is so civilised - including London - people don't walk around with guns here like they do in America.

It's also so conveniently located. Fancy popping over to Paris or Milan for a long weekend? It'll cost you about £50 and you're there in no time at all.

And I've been to Switzerland - and I almost cried for boredom as I schlepped around the chain stores and ate mediocre food. It is a joke to do a comparison. Property prices may be cheaper, but do they give you as much return for your investment? Is the contract market as good?

No offence though - I am just passionate about this because I could not have had a better experience in terms of contracting, and that's largely due to the fact that I've always contracted in London.

I get agencies calling me all day and every day with great contract opportunities, and I just don't believe you'd get the big brands, big rates and big volume without being in a major city. Oh and NY may well be as good in terms of contracting opportunities, but I've never contracted there and it definitely isn't as safe.

I feel like the luckiest person in the world to be contracting in London. I know this is a cynical board and this will incur much mockery - but I don't care. I am bloody lucky and I know it. I would never put anyone off coming to London to find contract work.
        Last edited by CalamityJane; 19 November 2015, 12:34.

Comment

Originally posted by CalamityJane View Post
          London is one of the most exciting, richest and most cosmopolitan cities in the world. I have lived here for over 10 years and even New York doesn't compare to it.

I have been able to go from one lucrative, high profile, big brand contract to the next partially because there is so much opportunity in this city. And then so many fun ways to spend the money earned. I live in South London, which is pretty cheap - I bought a beautiful period property a few years ago, pay just £600 per month as a mortgage, leaving me with around £8000 in disposable money per month. My property has shot up in value in this time and it's only a 15 min train ride to get to the centre of the action - theatres, museums, bars and amazing shops.

Food here is amazing - the old view of UK food as poor is long dead. It's not even about English food anymore - it's French, Italian, Mexican, Indian, Thai...I could go on... You can get Michelin star food for about £30 if you book through Opentable. I recommend Orrery for lunch.

Not once have I been pick-pocketed, not once have I ever walked around in fear of a terror attack! In London there are beautiful, green, leafy parts of the city, with towering Georgian buildings, and red-brick Victorians, and quaint, quirky shops and delis. Then there are the poorer parts of the city - shabby and full of £1 stores.

You know very well when you're in one or the other... I freely go from one to another without fear or issue, but you can, of course, choose to simply walk around in the wealthy areas. But England as a whole is so civilised - including London - people don't walk around with guns here like they do in America.

It's also so conveniently located. Fancy popping over to Paris or Milan for a long weekend? It'll cost you about £50 and you're there in no time at all.

And I've been to Switzerland - and I almost cried for boredom as I schlepped around the chain stores and ate mediocre food. It is a joke to do a comparison. Property prices may be cheaper, but do they give you as much return for your investment? Is the contract market as good?

No offence though - I am just passionate about this because I could not have had a better experience in terms of contracting, and that's largely due to the fact that I've always contracted in London.

I get agencies calling me all day and every day with great contract opportunities, and I just don't believe you'd get the big brands, big rates and big volume without being in a major city. Oh and NY may well be as good in terms of contracting opportunities, but I've never contracted there and it definitely isn't as safe.

I feel like the luckiest person in the world to be contracting in London. I know this is a cynical board and this will incur much mockery - but I don't care. I am bloody lucky and I know it. I would never put anyone off coming to London to find contract work.
          Where are you from, Calamity Jane? And what's your background? I have also lived in London for over 10 years but my feelings about it are completely different - a crowded, ugly and overpriced hell-hole with horrible food and horrible service. Everything is about the money and lot's of it, because without it you are doomed to a very very bleak existent. Horrible working culture where workers are not respected and the bosses are allowed to do as they wish including screaming and swearing at the employees. Bullying is wide-spread. Hence all that sitting in the pubs after work and bitching about the boss to let the steam out.

Anyways, I guess one's feelings about London are based on what one compares to. I have a friend from a third world country who thinks Britain is a paradise. For me, well, I have seen better places. Currently living in the continental Europe and liking it much more.
          Last edited by Lola C; 20 November 2015, 17:37.

Comment

Comparing with other countries in Europe, UK have more opportunities.
            Correct or not?

Comment

Originally posted by Lola C View Post
              You basically saying that you are used to the terror threat. It doesnt make the things better though.
              He will have to travel on the Tube, won't he? Especially if he will live in the "outskirts" (and the poor guy will be spending half of his time commuting to and from work) and has to travel to the City/Docklands.

For you London is home, but for the OP is one of the options to consider, I suppose.
              How idiotic. Don't you understand the "terror threat" is absolutely tiny? It exists but it's tiny.

On 7/7 52 people were killed.
              There are more than 8 million people living in London.

You are more likely to die falling over in your home than being killed by a terrorist, the recent atrocities in Paris notwithstanding.

Try to keep it real for crying out loud.
              I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

It's not safer in the UK than in France, if that is what drives you. Especially in London.
                I chose to contract abroad last September. Don't want to risk my life and health.
                I don't know what drugs you are on, but, they are clearly not working for you.

Absolute drivel.

have also lived in London for over 10 years but my feelings about it are completely different - a crowded, ugly and overpriced hell-hole with horrible food and horrible service.
                Surprised you lasted 10 years, seeing as it was so bad, sounds like you just, simply, did not know where to go.
                Plenty of good places to eat, with great food and service, in London.

Currently living in the continental Europe and liking it much more.
                Hopefully, you will stay put there .
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                  Comparing with other countries in Europe, UK have more opportunities.
                  Correct or not?

Lemme say that - for some people the UK has more opportunities than some other countries in Europe.
                  The rest of them - do not.
                  Last edited by Lola C; 20 November 2015, 17:36.

Comment

Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
                    How idiotic. Don't you understand the "terror threat" is absolutely tiny? It exists but it's tiny.

On 7/7 52 people were killed.
                    There are more than 8 million people living in London.

You are more likely to die falling over in your home than being killed by a terrorist, the recent atrocities in Paris notwithstanding.

Try to keep it real for crying out loud.
                    Yeah, it's "idiotic" until it is you or your kids who become the victims.

There are places where the risk is much higher - London is one of them.
                    What you argue here is a manifestation of a defence mechanism - you are in denial.
                    Last edited by Lola C; 20 November 2015, 17:36.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      I don't know what drugs you are on, but, they are clearly not working for you.

Absolute drivel.
                      Yep, and 7/7 and Lee Rigby never happened.
                      You are in denial.

Surprised you lasted 10 years, seeing as it was so bad, sounds like you just, simply, did not know where to go.
                      Plenty of good places to eat, with great food and service, in London.
                      I am surprised myself, how I could endure this place for such a long time. I dont know what you compare to when you say that food and service are great. Botswana?
                      And I am not talking about food in the restaurants, but the regular food shops like Sainsbury and Tesco. Noone eats in restaurants every day, they would end up with food poisoning as lots of places lack the basic hygiene and don't give a damn about the regulations. And it's not only at the restaurants that you find this lack of hygiene. My cornershop sells food but its premises stink mould and damp. It should be forbidden to sell anything there!

Hopefully, you will stay put there .
                      Thanks, so do I .
                      Last edited by Lola C; 20 November 2015, 17:38.

Comment

Working...
                      X