• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorcycles and lane weaving

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chutley View Post
    What you describe would certainly be illegal - it is undertaking.

However, filtering is legal. This constitutes a motorcyclist passing stationary or slow moving traffic. It can even be done where there are double white lines to prevent over-taking - provided the motorcyclist does not cross those white lines and their is sufficient room to pass the stationary/slow moving vehicle.
    I just about tolerate filtering.

But screaming past me at 90+ with side boxes on flicking out and round me on the inside, maybe between me and a lorry is dangerous, stupid, and makes my blood boil.

And no, I don't sit in the outside lane, only overtake and move straight over, which is why this biker undertake is so dangerous.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      A mate recently attended a speed awareness course.

Apparently it is illegal.

But on roads it is allowed for cyclists.
      Filtering is legal - i.e. sharing a lane with a car. It's called "making progress", and you can fail your test for not "making progress".

At high speeds it may be deemed dangerous, and at high relative speeds also.

This is what I infer the OP mens by "riding the dotted line".

'weaving' in and out is probably not what you'd call filtering though. Unless you mean at slow-ish speeds and you dip in and out of each lane, along the white line (e.g. to pass inside large lorry before moving back into the faster lane to pass the cars on the left and those you're sharing the lane with).

I love it when there's an ambulance or police car making it's way through. The sea of cars parts and I follow up right behind that emergency vehicle hassle free.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
        I love it when there's an ambulance or police car making it's way through. The sea of cars parts and I follow up right behind that emergency vehicle hassle free.

I love it when and ambulance goes through. People break the law to help and get nicked!

Comment

It's "interesting" driving in the US (or Dubai et al) where this is entirely normal practice.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
            Filtering is legal - i.e. sharing a lane with a car. It's called "making progress", and you can fail your test for not "making progress".

At high speeds it may be deemed dangerous, and at high relative speeds also.

This is what I infer the OP mens by "riding the dotted line".

'weaving' in and out is probably not what you'd call filtering though. Unless you mean at slow-ish speeds and you dip in and out of each lane, along the white line (e.g. to pass inside large lorry before moving back into the faster lane to pass the cars on the left and those you're sharing the lane with).

After 1min45 this biker starts 'filtering'
            http://youtu.be/P9PcwqE8GME

It looks dangerous to me - even at slow speeds. Honestly - it should be illegal.
            http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

I filter, it is 100% legal.

You are not describing filtering though, anything above 30mph is considered to make the motorcyclist responsible (at least in most cases) if there is a crash.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                After 1min45 this biker starts 'filtering'
                http://youtu.be/P9PcwqE8GME

It looks dangerous to me - even at slow speeds. Honestly - it should be illegal.
                It's only dangerous when car drivers don't know how to drive safely and courteously. If you change lane you need to make sure no bikes are coming through.

I can only assume you think it should be illegal because you can't be bothered to make sure it's safe to change lane before doing so?

And good bikers generally don't get caught out anyway - you can see the wheels turn before the car moves, sat higher up so have a better view, etc, etc. The bikers that stay alive tend to me much more aware of the road and their surroundings than car drivers are. Obviously the fast you filter the less that awareness compensates.
                Last edited by SpontaneousOrder; 12 November 2015, 14:31.

Comment

Filtering is designated as an unusual maneuver, but it isn't illegal here (i.e. unless it involves something explicitly illegal for other reasons), unlike in the US, where it's illegal. However, if you cause an accident, you'll be assumed at-fault.

Demonstration here.

Comment

Originally posted by Danglekt View Post
                    anything above 30mph is considered to make the motorcyclist responsible (at least in most cases) if there is a crash.
                    As far as I can tell it's quite a fluid position. Used to be the case that bikers were at fault for any accident during filtering. Then 50/50 even with proof that the driver didn't look or indicate. More recently the outcomes that i've seen have been more reasonable.

Relative speed is more important I think (personally), although total speed too as you say as suppose it's harder to slow down quickly if needed, etc, the faster you go.

I don't think it's unreasonable to filter at 45/50 mph, depending of conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                      Filtering is designated as an unusual maneuver, but it isn't illegal here (i.e. unless it involves something explicitly illegal for other reasons), unlike in the US, where it's illegal. However, if you cause an accident, you'll be assumed at-fault.

Demonstration here.
                      In the US it depends on local state laws.

Comment

Working...
                      X