• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Police to be granted powers to view your internet browsing history

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complete non-techy here, but wouldn't they get this information from your ISP so incognito becomes a moot point?

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
      Complete non-techy here, but wouldn't they get this information from your ISP so incognito becomes a moot point?
      I guess this is where using a proxy comes in handy??

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post

Depends on whether you have a static or dynamic IP address and how often you reboot your router (if it's dynamic), I think.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Incognito does not protect your browsing history from the government, it just means that it doesn't store it locally and doesn't let your incognito session send any cookies or other data that was stored on your computer previously that might identify you.

It offers no protection from people asking your ISP what's going on.

You'd need to use a proxy server and make sure your traffic is https encrypted.
          Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

How many of you are actually worried about police accessing your history ? Privacy matters aside, if they come knocking on your door and want to look at the history, I would gladly let them.
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
              How many of you are actually worried about police accessing your history ? Privacy matters aside, if they come knocking on your door and want to look at the history, I would gladly let them.
              WHS. Nothing illegal about fat shaven haven big black cock transsexual nurses is there.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post

I'd be embarrassed by the number of times I've inadvertently clicked on a link and ended up being redirected to a page belonging to the Daily Mail.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  Depends on whether you have a static or dynamic IP address and how often you reboot your router (if it's dynamic), I think.
                  If the ISP are logging what you're doing then they're going to know who uses which IP and when. The only way round it is to use a VPN, but then the fact you're using a VPN makes you stand out as suspicious and then they can demand logs from the VPN provider.

What slightly worries me (to be serious for a moment) is that you don't need to enter a URL to visit a site. A lot of times you get redirected to something you weren't expecting. So you might click on something on nicechristianladies.com and actually find yourself at andywsmum.com, but if the police are looking at your logs they can't tell that you didn't intend to look at such filth, and you can't prove it either.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    So you might ... actually find yourself on andywsmum.com...

...and how many of us can say that we have found ourselves on andywsmum?

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                      If the ISP are logging what you're doing then they're going to know who uses which IP and when. The only way round it is to use a VPN, but then the fact you're using a VPN makes you stand out as suspicious and then they can demand logs from the VPN provider.

What slightly worries me (to be serious for a moment) is that you don't need to enter a URL to visit a site. A lot of times you get redirected to something you weren't expecting. So you might click on something on nicechristianladies.com and actually find yourself at andywsmum.com, but if the police are looking at your logs they can't tell that you didn't intend to look at such filth, and you can't prove it either.
                      Using a VPN isn't suspicious lots of companies make you to use one to connect to their servers if working away site.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X