• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Laser Eyes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
    Unfortunately I can't really wear contacts as they just drive me berserk.
    How long ago did you try them? How flexible/breathable were they? What make? Daily disposables? Monthlies?

Like I say I use Specsavers ones, pop them in in the morning, forget about them till evening. The only time I know they're their is if my eyes are dry (but I'd have dry eyes regardless of contact lenses anyway..)
    Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
    "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

The whole area of LASIK is just so shady, everyone sounds like a dodgy salesman. I can pay 3000 odd at optical express or more or less depending on what amazing deals they have on at the time, or I could pay I think it was 4500 to have it done at the eye hospital.

But what's the difference really, apart from the pushy sales tactics presumably the machinery is identical as it's the same procedure, and both places will use a certified bod who has done 1,000s of them.

From what I can see the hospital charges 4500 because it's a flat rate for all customers whereas most places it depends on what you're having done.

Still feels like rolling the dice :S Unless anyone has any suggestions on how to weed out 'bad' places to have it done.
      Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
        How long ago did you try them? How flexible/breathable were they? What make? Daily disposables? Monthlies?

Like I say I use Specsavers ones, pop them in in the morning, forget about them till evening. The only time I know they're their is if my eyes are dry (but I'd have dry eyes regardless of contact lenses anyway..)
        I tried them a couple of years ago. I have a problem with my eyelid that I have spent an eternity of time and money trying to get resolved which makes it quite itchy on the inside, and contact lenses irritated it more than normal. Plus I hated trying to get them in and out to the point where I'd become enraged. I also needed slightly thicker ones due to asigmatism or whatever it's called in that eye, which didn't help.

Comment

Had it done about 10 years ago to correct -3.0 myopia. No issues with dry eyes or night vision but slightly more light sensitive now.
          As others have suggested, pay as much as you can afford. I used a private clinic near Southampton and met with the surgeon beforehand. I was unsuitable for Lasik so had EPI-Lasek instead. Allegedly a slower recovery time but I was back at work within a week.

Comment

Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
            Hmm lots of people saying pay for the best, but what exactly is the best? I was just gonna go to optical express or something, they quoted me about 3000 quid a while back for wavefront.

Unfortunately I can't really wear contacts as they just drive me berserk.
            It means doing the research and finding the best combination of current procedure/equipment and the best surgeon you can. The surgeon will probably be a recognised expert (i.e. publishing, pioneering new techniques) and have decades of hands-on experience and success stories. It doesn't guarantee a successful outcome, but it minimises risk (esp. if something goes wrong during the procedure). It isn't simply about using the latest equipment. It's also worth talking to the surgeon. I had mine done in the US and it cost about $10k IIRC.

Comment

I'd also say a good, reputable place would be more concerned with doing the right things for their patient than simply making another sale. If they feel it wouldn't be suitable for you or get the desired outcome then they should be telling you as much.

I can't remember how I came across Focus or what finally made me go for them above the more well known names but part of it was gut instinct, part of it was that the main surgeon (David Allamby, who did my operation) seems to have a lot of experience and clout in the field. They do also boast a 100% success rate (20/20 or better) for prescriptions down to -8.0 and 95% for worse prescriptions (like mine). That in itself is pretty impressive. They seem to boast some celebrity clients too although this played no part in my decision (seems a bit weird to think that the same guy that did my eyes also did Rick Wakeman's though!).

I found the whole experience from beginning to end to be reassuring, not at all pushy and the follow-up treatment and appointments were top notch. The whole thing was very professional. Lots of good reviews online, I couldn't find anyone with a bad thing to say about them and I've happily recommended them to a friend who was thinking of getting treatment done.

You often hear the claim that laser eye surgeons would never have it done themselves...seems pretty anecdotal to me with little to back that up, but according to their website close relatives and friends of the surgeons themselves have had the work done by them.

They also offer a lifetime guarantee too so if your vision deteriorates again they will re-treat you for free as long as the deterioration is the same as before.

Whoever you go with, I'd recommend looking at Z-LASIK, if its suitable for you.
              Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 28 September 2015, 15:40.

Comment

I had mine done in USSR for 40 rbls and now I can't see a fukn thing...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                  Whoever you go with, I'd recommend looking at Z-LASIK, if its suitable for you.
                  Huh. Solid advice, after a quick google. Seems that when they go right, there's no difference, but if there's a complication, it's almost always due to non z-lasik.

Comment

Working...
                  X