• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting, a mistake anyone?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wish I had gone contracting earlier than I did (about 16 years ago, though I did go back into a permie in the States for a while). Didn't feel like that when I spent three years on the bench, though. I'm back in now, but I'm looking for a permie to allow me to build up a bit of a track record again, and possibly to acquire new skills.

Plan B - I'm working on Plan C now
    Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000
      or I could get a marketing degree or MBA and then work in Change Management or be a Change Management Consultant. Around here they take £1300/day. The Change managers are all on about £100k each.

Whilst I plod on at less than £250/day.....plod.
      where's that then? most people I know in change management are useless..............

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000
        or I could get a marketing degree or MBA and then work in Change Management or be a Change Management Consultant. Around here they take £1300/day. The Change managers are all on about £100k each.

Whilst I plod on at less than £250/day.....plod.
        Are you sure about that? They normally take lowly paid permies and make them happy with the managers title. I am not aware of those high rates for change managers. Perhaps, risk managers, yes. Or business analysts, well, rates have gone up quite a lot I think for them. But I think most companies are aware that the majority of change managers jobs are mere administrative positions (or at least, they will be soon when they find out what is all about generally).
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

If you can handle a spreadsheet then you can do Change Mangement.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyOldMan
            If you can handle a spreadsheet then you can do Change Mangement.
            well according to the HR file many are at or near six figures. most of the management accountants are at 50K. And we just track the project costs. That doesn't include the people actually manageing the projects.

They almost exclusively use spreadsheets here. rather than put in some intial quick work to put together a web-based database they use Excel. And after a year discover there are several different copies of the same "master" sheet - which one is true - who knows.

As for how useful they are I can only speak to the people we work with, who track all the projects within the PRINCE cycle..(using horrible excel sheets) - and they have spent a year going around in circles coming up with the workflow. Useless.

But still making huge money while at it.
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
            X