• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'I own 75 buy-to-let properties but I haven't deprived other buyers'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy to let was useful for the government to keep houses full. Now with supply less than demand, they don't really want to build more homes. Need to protect the London property bubble to prevent other red flags going off. Make the immigrant crisis flavour of the month to hide the real news.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      He reckons his portfolio is worth £6.4m, against which there is a modest £2.4m borrowing.
      I don't know how willing banks are to lend to small property companies, but surely it can't be impossible to borrow just over a third of the value of the portfolio.

Selling a third of the portfolio isn't a bad option either. I suspect he can only see the reduced income and not the reduced risk, despite the fact that he apparently realises interest rates might go up.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        So everyone will hold off buying now, which means a lot more renters, which means more people looking to rent, less property on the rental market, higher rents, means more profit for BTL.

Osborne is a sneaky **** isn't he?
        Some will hold off buying. But there will still be more buyers than sellers.

Once prices start to drop it might be different.

This story is the same as those that say "we earn £200k a year but are not well off". Some have a huge sense of entitlement that makes them unuseful to society.

You can tell what God thinks of money. Look at those he gives it to.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

This story is the same as those that say "we earn £200k a year but are not well off". Some have a huge sense of entitlement that makes them unuseful to society.

You know you'd buy a BTL if you could Brillo
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            hardly the point, if we reduced you to benefits you would muddle on.

The man has built up a business and this tax change will ruin it.

I say again who do you think will take over being a landlord, are you sure they will be a better option or rents will stay so affordable?
            Going from £80,000 p/a to £60,000 p/a does not constitute ruin

Even by the figures in the article, there will still be a profit to be turned. If some people decide that profit isn't enough for them to be bothered with and choose to take nothing (or invest elsewhere) instead, I'm sure there will still be plenty of people willing to pick up the 60,000 crumbs that remain.

Isn't that how these free markets everyone loves are supposed to work?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Even by the figures in the article, there will still be a profit to be turned. If some people decide that profit isn't enough for them to be bothered with and choose to take nothing (or invest elsewhere) instead, I'm sure there will still be plenty of people willing to pick up the 60,000 crumbs that remain.

Does it not cease being a free market when it is targeted by government action which changes the shape of the market ?
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

£200k a year is not a lot of money I can assure you that. Tax and NI on that is £85K a year.
                A take home of < 10K per month isn't even enough to take the family to Florida business class, let alone pay for hotels and Disney tickets.

The feckers already take a 100K off me and now they want to hit me more on my BTLS and Pension.

I can only afford to drink champagne at the airport now. It's a bloody travesty.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  The man has built up a business and this tax change will ruin it.
                  How is it a business, without any corp tax, business rates, employer NICs etc etc etc?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                    Does it not cease being a free market when it is targeted by government action which changes the shape of the market ?
                    You can't argue with a man who thinks money is evil, smokes tabs & thinks Corbyn is a style icon
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                      £200k a year is not a lot of money I can assure you that. Tax and NI on that is £85K a year.
                      A take home of < 10K per month isn't even enough to take the family to Florida business class, let alone pay for hotels and Disney tickets.

The feckers already take a 100K off me and now they want to hit me more on my BTLS and Pension.

I can only afford to drink champagne at the airport now. It's a bloody travesty.
                      Indeed. Even bonuses of FTSE bosses are barely rising, just 3% up on last year.

Top FTSE bosses have seen an increase in their bonus | City & Business | Finance | Daily Express

These payouts, together with a 3 per cent rise in base salaries to £891,000, helped total remuneration packages jump by 6.8 per cent to an average of £4.28million, according to analysis by PWC of pay packages reported at 2015 annual general meetings.

Comment

Working...
                      X