• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NO motivation or interest

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yep - I am on the same page, I find it all painfully dull so have for some time been working at FIRE (financial independence retire early).
    This makes work optional/take summer off/pick and choose where and what work you do.

Only enjoyment is people who you connect with at work and can have a laugh with, rare but good when it happens !

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      I find it helps me to keep interested if I move between different industries and types of project a lot. Oh, and stay as far away as possible from corporate IT.

Don't know how practical it is if you're anything other than a developer, but the other year I worked with an online provider of archive materials to libraries, was involved in developing an award-winning promotional web campaign for a major online fashion retailer, and contributed to user interface code used by Freesat set top boxes, all in the space of eleven months. The key thing was that each of these gave me an opportunity to learn new stuff about various fields I might not otherwise have had any contact with, even though I was being paid to use exactly the same development skills at all of them.

When I end up working in the same industry for too long, or going back to one I already know well, or am involved with something that could never, ever, under any circumstances be interesting in the first place (such as corporate IT services), I get bored a lot more easily.
      Still sounds dull to me. Dull webtulipes, dull boxes with flashing lights, dullards doinds sprints to dullsville. Dull bobs.

Dull, dull, dull.

Comment

Life's too short - get a Ferrari

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
          My kids are grown up at uni !!
          No fit room mates at their digs you can play sugar daddy to. That will spice your life up
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Still sounds dull to me. Dull webtulipes, dull boxes with flashing lights, dullards doinds sprints to dullsville. Dull bobs.

Dull, dull, dull.

But harsh. If you've met Nick you'll know he screams excitement.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Dull, dull, dull.

I think it's just that more advanced software development projects are only interesting to those intellectually equipped to understand them

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                I think it's just that more advanced software development projects are only interesting to those intellectually equipped to understand them
                If you are intellectually equipped to understand a project, then it can't be advanced - you are on level with it, it's only when you don't know what you doing ...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  If you are intellectually equipped to understand a project, then it can't be advanced - you are on level with it, it's only when you don't know what you doing ...
                  I never said I knew what I was doing

Comment

Work is rarely exciting,normally very tedious and working with annoying cretins. I gave up years ago pretending i was interested in what i do. Keep invoicing and plan the early deaths of multiple people is the only advice i can offer

Comment

I am the same, completely lost my motivation probably when I started contracting. I used to love learning new things, the variety and everything else.

The problem is now I have a plan B, but at the moment its just a dream but its all I can think about. Unlike you I still want to work but on my plan B. Any extra effort spent on IT seems like a waste of time and doesn't interest me any more.

Comment

Working...
                      X