• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Graduates, graduates, who will buy my lovely graduates?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    An apprentice is unlikely to be working a 35 hour week. Chances are 15 hours or so if it are spent doing training (looking at the decent schemes I've seen).

As such it's probably fair that they are paid less. A lot do however seem to be taking the absolute Mickey though
    But a lower hourly minimum wage... Come on!
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
      But a lower hourly minimum wage... Come on!
      I believe they are paid for the hours in training (will need to check that)...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
        Engineering, medicine, bio-chemistry should all be free.
        relatively speaking medicine is a lot cheaper than an arts degree for what a student gets - at oxford the medicine course costs the uni about 30k/year/student (5 days per week contact time, lots of equipment and labs etc) but they're paying the same (9k) fees as a history degree costs the uni about 2k/year/student (6 hours per week contact time plus lots of reading)

source: numbers probably made up by a friend who's just finished oxford med course

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          An ex-esteemed customer of my acquaintance tried producing electronic stuff but has now given that up and is on a course that leads to him becoming a carpenter.

Good luck to him.
          We need more trades people, we need more houses. It's getting ridiculous now.....trying to find cheap off plan property for my BTL portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            We need more trades people, we need more houses. It's getting ridiculous now.....trying to find cheap off plan property for my BTL portfolio
            Ah yes, the mythical portfolio, and the mythical mansion.

I turned up at my client today on my Pegasus.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Y46oltbjpv...ellerophon.jpg
            http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
              relatively speaking medicine is a lot cheaper than an arts degree for what a student gets - at oxford the medicine course costs the uni about 30k/year/student (5 days per week contact time, lots of equipment and labs etc) but they're paying the same (9k) fees as a history degree costs the uni about 2k/year/student (6 hours per week contact time plus lots of reading)

source: numbers probably made up by a friend who's just finished oxford med course
              Not made up.

I've heard similar figures lots of times since fees went up to 9K

If you do a STEM subject you get your moneys worth. (Ok you break even with Maths like subjects where labs are limited.)

If you do Arts or Social Sciences then they are ripping you off. It actually costs more than 2K per student but less than 9K.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Not made up.

I've heard similar figures lots of times since fees went up to 9K

If you do a STEM subject you get your moneys worth. (Ok you break even with Maths like subjects where labs are limited.)

If you do Arts or Social Sciences then they are ripping you off. It actually costs more than 2K per student but less than 9K.
                Yeah but arts/social science students are really just forward paying into the dole they will receive when they graduate and realise they spent the last 3 years doing nothing of value.

Should cover the payments till they got that burger flipping job.

Comment

A student should be assessing prospective earning potential (i.e. the marginal benefit to them of doing the degree) rather than just what it costs the uni. That said, who is going to argue that a medical degree and most STEM degrees don't offer considerably better ROI? I think if you do an arts degree at unis like Oxbridge or LSE, though, you're paying for the connections and brand name of the uni, and that may significantly increase your earning power later down the line.

Doing a degree for the privilege of being the most educated burger flipper at McDs must feel special.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    Yeah but arts/social science students are really just forward paying into the dole they will receive when they graduate and realise they spent the last 3 years doing nothing of value.

Should cover the payments till they got that burger flipping job.
                    Some of the more intelligent ones go on and find that the job they want could have been done as an apprentice so they apply.

The degree is useless at that time but if they stick it out and want to become management in future the degree isn't wasted.

There are quite a few employers who don't take on staff for some roles particularly management ones without a degree.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Some of the more intelligent ones go on and find that the job they want could have been done as an apprentice so they apply.

The degree is useless at that time but if they stick it out and want to become management in future the degree isn't wasted.

There are quite a few employers who don't take on staff for some roles particularly management ones without a degree.
                      Yes very true.

Problem is I have a degree which due to advances in our understanding of science is now obsolete.

So why is it of value now?

Comment

Working...
                      X