• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car insurance claims

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real contractors drive 10 year old mondeos with an oil leak.... I do anyway. Don't wanna upset the permits.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      Have you had a good look underneath? Those plasticy bits (which are there more for the air flow than to protect anything) might just have come off and can be easily re-attached.
      Yes I did VM, sadly they are damaged beyond repair, and have effectively been torn off (I've got 3 bits in the garage), causing mild damage to underside of front faring/spoiler thingy. It's as if they slide in under the faring, and are secured by bolts, which have been torn off. The underside cover thing, despite being made of sturdy stuff is now not fully secure - not flapping as it's quite rigidly made. Plus it's a bugger to get underneath fully, owing to sports suspension and the faring itself. Would need a ramp/pit to have a better look.
      Planning on going to Wales for long weekend, but have decided not to take my car, and take beemer no. 2 (wife's) instead. Worry is, whatever's gone on underneath could affect stability at high speeds, or cause increased vibration. Might be over cautious but it's a 5 hour trek so minimising risks.
      Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by TheLordDave View Post
        Real contractors drive 10 year old mondeos with an oil leak.... I do anyway. Don't wanna upset the permits.

muppets

Comment

The spoiler might be difficult but the plastic bits just get them off eBay and swap them yourself or get a competent mate to do. It will only take half an hour.

When the daughter's ten year old 325i got written off after someone took off the front wing and bumper I got a nearly new replacement from eBay for £200, swapped them myself and had a bodyshop do the paint for another £150. Used it as my runabout for the next three years. Bangernomictastic!
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I now put the parking sensors on when parking up against a kerb as I've scratched under the spoiler a few times and M spoilers are lower than normal beemers and bloody expensive
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
              Got no claims protection so I think I'm eligible to 2 claims within a 5 yr period without impacting future costs.
              I'll take to the dealer & see what excessive price they throw at me...hence reason thinking of using insurance as opposed to denting own pocket.

Did think of replacing the car, in accordance with contractor code of practice, but that would have had a negative impact on the caribbean hols funds & the other half wouldn't have liked any interruption to normality
              No claims protection means bugger all. The no claims percentage is discounted from the base insurance cost and it's the percentage that's "protected" if you've had a claim the base cost goes up in big lumps as your risk profile changes, only claim if you have to and it's a large amount, otherwise you pay out more in increased premiums than the claim value in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                No claims protection means bugger all. The no claims percentage is discounted from the base insurance cost and it's the percentage that's "protected" if you've had a claim the base cost goes up in big lumps as your risk profile changes, only claim if you have to and it's a large amount, otherwise you pay out more in increased premiums than the claim value in the long run.
                Yep.

When you renew, your premiums will go up because you have claimed and are now a very high risk. So even though the discount will remain the same with protected no claims, the premium will rocket. If the repairs are going to cost like £5K, claim.

Comment

I thought to drive a BMW you had to be a pimp?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    I thought to drive a BMW you had to be a bell end?
                    FTFY .... The reputation of BMW drivers is pretty secure due to the overwhelming quantity of them that belong to the middle and outside lane owners clubs and drive like utter arseholes.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                      FTFY .... The reputation of BMW drivers is pretty secure due to the overwhelming quantity of them that belong to the middle and outside lane owners clubs and drive like utter arseholes.
                      Sadly BMW drivers have lost that accolade to Audi drivers, and runners up wannabe VW drivers (usually Golf GTD - look my diesel can do 155mph and an inch from your rear bumper too!)

Comment

Working...
                      X