• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jeremy Corbyn announces £10bn plan to scrap university tuition fees

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    The romans introduced slavery here, so it should be Rome making good, it goes back far longer than the colonies
    bollards. slavery is much older than that
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      Fair point but all these examples have been looked at and actioned according to law, so any compensation is decided accordingly. What you are trying to do is write sweeping generalisations in the form of cliches to make a point that we the British should feel guilty about our past and somehow compensate others without any proof. The premise that you base this on has no proof. So I am afraid we have no obligations to anyone. If however you have a moral conscience about any of this there is nothing to stop you handing over your money or making room to house some unfortunate migrants.
      Balls!

I'm saying the jewel entrusted, marble floored greatness beauty and wonder of the UK has in part come from the exploitation of our empire. Said former subjects of said empire want to migrate here (because it is nice), and maybe MAYBE we should be more welcoming. That is my generalisation, or rather my moral question! Do I personally feel guilty; no. But I have migrant DNA so maybe I don't see the sweeping generalisation that migrants are bad.
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
        Balls!

I'm saying the jewel entrusted, marble floored greatness beauty and wonder of the UK has in part come from the exploitation of our empire. Said former subjects of said empire want to migrate here (because it is nice), and maybe MAYBE we should be more welcoming. That is my generalisation, or rather my moral question! Do I personally feel guilty; no. But I have migrant DNA so maybe I don't see the sweeping generalisation that migrants are bad.
        I always vote UKIP, don't take it personally.

Comment

Balls!

I think you will find that building materials used in the UK have been paid for. Who said migrants are bad?

Talking of bejewelled marble palaces do you mean like this? Inside the crumbling palaces of Africa
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Here's some marble we should be giving back;

http://content.time.com/time/special...883001,00.html

Comment

Here's some marble we should be giving back;

The Elgin Marbles - Top 10 Plundered Artifacts - TIME
              We should hand them straight to the Germans and cut out the middle man
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

We should hand them straight to the Germans and cut out the middle man
                We agree[emoji79][emoji106][emoji133][emoji133][emoji133][emoji133][emoji133]

Comment

We agree[emoji79][emoji106][emoji133][emoji133][emoji133][emoji133][emoji133]
                  Actually we do not. My point is if there is anything to feel guilty about then it needs to be proven rather than assumed. I think we British have far more to be proud of than ashamed of and we do not owe anything to the rest of the world. That includes any right to live here.

Comment

Actually we do not. My point is if there is anything to feel guilty about then it needs to be proven rather than assumed. I think we British have far more to be proud of than ashamed of and we do not owe anything to the rest of the world. That includes any right to live here.
                    Out of interest - where in the UK do you live?

Comment

Out of interest - where in the UK do you live?
                      Bradford

Comment

Working...
                      X